Coral Vue Hydros

Suggestions Please?

pig390

Hi,

I am interested in getting started in the nano-reef hobby. I have about 8 years experience with freshwater aquariums. I am just wondering what exactly I need to get started? I already have a heater, 10g tank, and penguin mini bio-wheel filter. Someone in one of the threads mentioned to take the bio-wheel out. Do I need a power head on my filter, and is there one for a mini? Also whats the best type of hood for a plain 10g? Do I have to use a protein skimmer or is the LR/LS a good method?

Sorry for the long question,but I thought it would be the best way to get the information after reading peoples threads for two weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Pig390 :)

I think you need to figure out what you want to keep, then consider the lighting requirements for said critters, then do some research on the equipment needed for the tank.

HOB filters don't use additional powerheads as the filter will come equipped with the necessary equipment for moving water in and out of the filter. With regards to the bag, I tossed mine and used the hob for a chiller but some people use the bag, others don't.

Do you need a skimmer? Up to you. some use em some don't. Live rock and live sand are crucial but the skimmer isn't. I don't run one on mine but I am going to try it out and see if it makes much of a difference.

You will probably need a powerhead or two for additional water circulation within the tank.

Regarding the hood, did the tank come with one? If not, see if the tank manufacturer makes a hood. If not, you can try and win the contest here or you can buy one from the sponsor of said contest. You can also get a cheap hood and install a retro fit kit to upgrade the lights. The lighting is dependant upon what critters you want to keep. Decide that part now and then go forward.

well welcome to NR!

If you havent already checked out the articles then these will help with some of your questions.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

I wont tell you to take the bio-wheel off as some people have had success with it on and others have had problems so thats going to have to be your decision. You would use a power head in addition to the HOB filter for circulation. If you can make a hood for your 10 then I would do so and buy a retro light system. If not then check out petsupplyliquidators for a complete hood set-up. As far as a skimmer goes I suggest them to people who have no experience with tanks. It can help them keep up if they slack off on maintenance. But in no way will it save your tank if you dont take care of it. Seeing you have experience and know what over feeding can do then I suggest you read up and make the decision on your own. =)

HTH

edit: well since crakeur beat me to the punch Ill just say "yeah what he said" hehehe

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll take the suggestion to buy a retro light system. I also think, to be on the safe side I'll buy a skimmer anyways.

P.S. Does The retro light attach to an already existant hood or does it attach to a piece of plastic or glass?

Thanks,

Pig390

the retro fit kits are installed in place of the existing lights. You need to remove the bulb, socket and all wiring for the old lights and you install the retrofit kit in place of the old lighting. It sounds like a lot of work but I did it and if I can do it, a 6 month old monkey with poor eyesight, 2 fingers and no instructions can do it.

Archived