Top Shelf Aquatics

Doh! another live rock question

caja

I'm going to pick up some uncured fiji tomorrow and plan on curing it in a 5 gallon bucket, lots of water changes, blah, blah, blah. I already know that part.

My question is, after I've got it cured and remove from my tank two of the pieces of crappy "liverock" that I got at my LFS (no life on it and not porous at all. Chunks of base rock UGH!) and put in my newly cured live rock, will I have a mini cycle? If so, will this cause a problem for my tank inhabitants?

6 gal. Eclipse with retrofit CSL PC 2x32

Tank is 2 1/2 months old

2" LS

4 pieces of crappy rock

true perc (attack fish)

SLF crab

red leg hermit

2 nass snails

2 bumble bee snails

1 lazy a$$ turbo snail

green button polyp frag

blue 'shroom frag

small chili coral

small bubble coral

and a feather duster that has moved himself about 2 " away from the bubble coral. I guess the bubble coral isn't being very nice!

Thanks for putting up with yet another annoying live rock question.

;)

it might depending on the water differences between the bucket and tank. (i.e. salinity, temp, pH, etc.) stress is never good if it was avoidable imo.

you could try using the change water from your display tank as you wc for the bucket. that way any organisms on those rocks will have gotten 'used' to the display tank's water parameters. this may lessen the chance of another cycle occuring when you finally put the new LR in.

Thanks tinyreef! I thought about using the water from my water changes, but will have to supplement that because I only do about 2 quarts a week for my 6 gallon tank. Would it help if I stuck a heater in the pail after about two weeks of curing...or however long it takes to rid the rock of dead stuff. I was also thinking of adding a small layer of live sand from my tank to the pail for about a week or so maybe after the 2 week of curing. So thermometer and some live sand for another week or so before adding it to my tank. I'm planning on about three weeks before I get it into my tank.

I recently did the same thing myself I had 55lbs curing in a tub for 2months. I would suggest adding the heater from the vary beginning. If there is life on the rock that you would like to keep chances are they wont survive the cold temps at night. And seeing you are in Virginia the weather isnt going to help you much.

Archived