Cultivated Reef

26 Gallon Bowfront

halfpint

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I've been sick and busy with work, so I'm a little slow with pictures. I miss my tank sooo bad. I want to see it.

I asked yesterday when the next planned trip up there is, and the parents said they don't know. So, I only have the word of my brother-in-law that the hitchiker Mushrooms, Xenia, and Kenya are taking off and the fish is doing fine.

I would post a FTS right now, but my Windows PC (the one with the pictures on it) is shut down for the night. I'll try to remember to post a picture tomorrow or saturday. I'm sick, so I doubt I'll be doing much this weekend. Maybe I should just ship my camera to them, have them take a ton of pictures, then ship it back! Or maybe not. I hate waiting.

:pout:

Finally got around to resizing some photos. Well, it's only two, so you'll have to wait a little longer for the rest because I'm tired and it's 1:10am here.

Click the images to go to the image's page and view the full res.

FTSout.JPG

Rock_larger.JPG

I'll post more tomorrow afternoon. As long as I'm home tomorrow, that is.

nice!.....i have a 46 bow front.....but i would really like to add more Lr and upgrade to a bigger sump with refugium.......i really need a r/o kit......

keep it coming......i would like to see the progress on the tank...

I'm going to SC this thursday afternoon till sunday to re-roof my sister's house. I'll be sure to take hundreds of pictures of the tank and it's inhabitants. When I say hundreds, I mean hundreds. I'll try to use up my entire 1gig memory card with pictures. That's not too hard to do with a 5mp camera.

• 2 months later...

NEWS:

I'm moving to South Carolina this thursday. I'll be moving this tank to my new house (finally).

It turns out that a week after I first set up the light, the fan failed. Now, there's a short in it. If you touch the light anywhere, you get hit by some serious electricity. I almost knocked it off the aquarium this last time I was there because it shocked me so bad. Looks like I'll be getting a replacement (hopefully) soon.

Just interjecting to say that bowfronts PWN. I have a 26, too. Someday I'll get an fts. First I need to mount all my loose frags (which, btw, the pistols keep stealing and hoarding behind the rocks) and put a little sand in there. MH is definitely the way to go on a 26 bow...Them fuggers'r TALL!

I'd also like to add that lights that shock you SUCK. Jesus, with how often we (THEY) drop fixtures into the tanks, it's no wonder we get shocked a lot at work. :wacko: No cool!!

• 1 month later...
is that a prizm skimmer on the back?

Yep. It doesn't work too well. I just never ran it often enough to break it in, since it was in my bedroom. Since moving the tank, I have removed it. I bought a AC110 for a AC110fuge and haven't picked up the acrylic yet. I'll get to it soon.

Just interjecting to say that bowfronts PWN. I have a 26, too. Someday I'll get an fts. First I need to mount all my loose frags (which, btw, the pistols keep stealing and hoarding behind the rocks) and put a little sand in there. MH is definitely the way to go on a 26 bow...Them fuggers'r TALL!

I'd also like to add that lights that shock you SUCK. Jesus, with how often we (THEY) drop fixtures into the tanks, it's no wonder we get shocked a lot at work. :wacko: No cool!!

I hear you on the loose frags. I have two Rics that my shrimp love to flip off the rocks so they land upside down on the sand. As soon as I'm confident that the 26g is mature, I'm going to start adding coral like mad. It's giong to be my pride and joy. :D

It turns out that the shocking light was just my sister's wiring was bad. It's fine now. The fan still doesn't work, so it's ghetto-fied with two PC fans until I get a replacement. I don't want to mess with sending it back for a replacement. Flo, if you do get a light, I'd definately recommend the one I got. I LOVE it! The 14k bulb looks awesome and makes the coral fluoresc a lot. My GSP glows in there.

I will have updated pics soon enough!

Lots of changes to add, so here goes:

First, a new FTS. I took this before cleaning the sand, and building the AC110 fuge.

FTS26b.jpg

Some Kenya:

Kenya26.jpg

A small frag of Xenia that came from the 8oz pico:

MiniXenia26.jpg

and finally, a Top-down of the front portion of the tank:

Top-down26.jpg

Alrighty then. On to the AC110.

I ordered it the same time I ordered the light. I just didn't have the time to do the modding until now. So, since I didn't have any acrylic, I just scrounged the bottomless box of computer and aquarium scrap for some acrylic. I found some, so I was able to make it! I also found one of my CD case skimmers that I installed in there as well. I added a heater, the skimmer, a baffle to hold the rubble and Chaeto in, and a baffle next to the impeller's output. After that, I hung it on the tank, primed it, and plugged it in. After it filled, I turned on the skimmer and adjusted it. I hooked up an airpump to the airline that goes to the skimmer pump, to force more air in. This causes the waterflow to be slower, thereby increasing the contact time and reducing the microbubbles released. I also hooked up the collection tub. It's the glad container under the tank in the pictures below. I hooked up the Galexy light and turned it on. I then added the rubble and Chaeto. I also put the media from the little power filters in there, just to keep the biological filtration going strong. Now for the pics:

Front:

DSC05910.jpg

Front corner:

DSC05911.jpg

Side:

DSC05912.jpg

My ghetto fans until I replace the broken fan. (it broke a month after setting up the light.)

DSC05913.jpg

Top-down of filter:

DSC05915.jpg

Right side of filter. (notice the way the light is turned.

DSC05918.jpg

*in poky the pig's voice*

"th-th-th-th---that's all folks!"

Thanks man.

*EDIT*

continuation of photos:

DSC05919.jpg

under side of filter

DSC05920.jpg

fuge area from right of filter below light

DSC05921.jpg

top view from over light

DSC05922.jpg

left of skimmer (not broke in yet)

DSC05923.jpg

right side of skimmer

DSC05927.jpg

airline valves

DSC05924.jpg

air pump

DSC05925.jpg

fire hazzard

DSC05926.jpg

skimmate collection tub

DSC05928.jpg

view from front, under light

Thanks.....travis-ie. :P

*EDIT*

Continuation of photos:

view from front, under light

DSC05930.jpg

view of 26g and 12G NC

DSC05936.jpg

Obsessed Reefer

Stocking Plans?

EDIT:

Third Page

lol

Stocking plans. Well, I haven't thought about it too much. I guess I plan on making this a LPS softie tank. If I do an SPS tank, it'll be a 30cube.

For fish, I plan on a pair of clown gobies, my other skunk cleaner shrimp, a pair of peperming shrimp, and maybe a six line.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I was actually thinking of ycg. Either that or the dark green ones. Maybe even three court jester gobies. That way, I'll have some mid-level fish that won't hide a lot.

I'm going to Fishy business tomorrow. If I see some healthy fish that I like, I'll pick a couple up. I might also snag some corals.

I went to fishy business and was disappointed at their rediculously high prices. I will be doing a lot of my shopping online. I just have to check out "fins" in Irmo.

Anyone have some Astreas and Zoos that they want to sell me?

Don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I moved my rics to this tank.

Today, I moved the Toadstool Mushroom over. They're all looking happer and open fully.

Archived