Cultivated Reef

jelly fish?

twflys

Would it be okay to add a jelly fish to my reef tank? Any potential probs or specific care needed? Saw some really neat ones at the LFS for $12 bucks....... strange thing is, they kept running into the side of the tank, weird little creatures.

For pics of my tank, see below at 12 gallon setup post

I think jellies are best kept in a jelly only tank. Current is needed to keep them from hitting the walls and getting stuck on the bottom.

I don' t believe jelly fish have a very good survival rate in captivity not a whole lot is known about them - for instance, have you researched what they eat? how long they live? what special requirements they have? I suppose evaluate the answers to these (and more) questions, as we all should when contemplating purchasing a new animal, and go from there.

JMO

technoshaman

First of allyou think anemones got sucked into powerheads/filters easy. Jellyfish are 100x worse.If you have the proper food and tank they are actually pretty easy to take care of. Many public aquariums keep them and the optimal method is something called a kreisel tank. It bascially keeps a constant circular low flow to keep the jellyfish suspended and floating as if in the ocean. Also I know tha japanese are big on keeping them may see if you can find one that you can maybe get some english links or x-late it. Also many species are not very long lived a few months to a year maybe so keep that in mind.

Bottom line - expert care required.

Archived