SaltCritters.com

7g/CSL Hood Setup.. some concerns/suggestions?

3twenty5

I am curious of some comments on this setup. I have a 7g Minibow, a 2x32 CSL ABS Hood w/fans. It seems that the hood is 1 inch longer then the tank. I wanted to put a AC HoB on the back to convert for a refuge, so I was planning on doing what is illustrated in this drawing. I would take the CSL hood and raise it about 1.5 inches off tank, let it overhang off the back about an inch. My concern is that the lighting will be hanging over the siphon tube, and return of the Hob. its 64watts of PC...will I have a problem melting the tubes? Will this be cutting it too close? I only want to raise the hood about an inch or so due to the fact I am keeping the front half of the minibow hood. Please post your comments/suggestions. I have searched this site and the web and have not found any similar setups so I turn to you guys now.

Heat shouldn't be much of an issue since you have fans. I have a 32w over my mini-bow 7 with a fan and even after running all day the bulb can be touched with no problem. I've found the same to be true on my dad's set up with 2 32w bulbs and 1 fan. The only problem you might encounter is algae buildup in the tubes and the output of the HOB, since they will be receiving direct light. I have a raised 2 x 18w light over my 5 gallon, and I frequently have to clean the HOB return clear of algae.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the lights either way. What are the dimensions of the square part of the tank? Also, there is a sheet of plastic between the lights and the tank as is so it shouldn't melt the HoB uptake.

Spudds.

The dimensions of the square on the 7mini is like 15 or 16 by 6 , the hood is 7inches deep. I was thinking also that algae would have to be cleaned...and what I meant to say is I have one built in fan , its a large fan and has a vent on th eother side of the hood. I am assuming I will have to remove the plexi in between the tank and hood due to heat

Archived