Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lighting on a budget

wingsfan

i hope to be setting up a 20 gal. in the near future and someone told me that the 65w outdoor flood light with the pc lights in them that Home Depot sells would be an ok light for the money. ($30)Anyone else heard of using these and what about the blue spectrum of lighting. will just have some LR with a few softies for now, until funds permit otherwise.

Hey wings fan, I found a 36w JBJ clamp light on ebay for $35.00 plus shipping that I keep on my ten gal. The same person also had some other great deals on other lights I would check it out unless you know for sure that the Home depot special will fit all of your needs. I have found its better to wait and buy the good stuff once then to rush and end up buying stuff twice. IMO

Everything I've seen and HD and Lowes (and I have looked.....like everyone else), will make the tank look "yellow". The Color temp (6500 K, 10k K, etc) is what you want to check. Try to get 6500K or higher.

I think Jimmie has the ticket! I've been eye'ing those JBJ clamp-on on Ebay as will.

Many people have used these lights. Mostly for fuge lighting. They are 6500K, which is pretty yellow to the eye. Some peole have been having trouble with them burning out ...some have not. Go over to Reef Central and do a search on Lights Of America (LOA).

Archived