Pod Your Reef

just a easy 1

R*Frost*

i was just wondering is it possible to grow corals under a MH without a atinic light? i have heard no and yes

help apprecited Simon

acoustic-where you getting your info?

YES it is possible, very possible! my SPS look great under a single 10K halide. higher color temperature (10K-20K) halide bulbs were designed to eliminate the need for actinics. i will say that some colors in corals do jump a lil better under actinics but that doesn't mean the corals can't or won't thrive under just halide lighting. i know personally a handful of guys who also keep their SPS under radium (400W 20K) lighting only. and its not just SPS, my LPS, mushrooms and zoos positioned lower in the tank are doing great!

tg

now, who's got my back?

yep, i used to grow (or see growth) of all of mine under n.o. tubes, 10k's, 6500k's, 7100k's etc. Slightly different to halides yes, but still goes, you can indeed.

I personally didnt see much difference to using actinics anyway, as my bulbs had this in there spectrum.

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

I agree - actinics are needed ONLY for asthetics - for those of us that like to see our corals efflouresce:) corals grow under any light that provides them with the correct spectrum and intensity of light. anything above 6500K and whatever wattage is appropriate for your tank will meet thier needs for growth.

i got my advice from a reputable dealer (I THOUGHT ANY WAY) he said that if i get a halide i should get a atinic PC or NO or my corals and inverts will die. I then used my great knowledge (not) and said well u have tour coral frags under one MH. He spluttered out well thats ok becuse it is only short term . I knew this was either a newbie to the outlet or a seller rather than a good dealer.

p.s Help greatly apprecaited all

R:)CK :)N REEFERS

Originally posted by R*Frost*

i got my advice from a reputable dealer (I THOUGHT ANY WAY) he said that if i get a halide i should get a atinic PC or NO or  my corals and inverts will die.  

R:)CK :)N REEFERS

So much for trusting that dealer.

Metal halides can be used alone or in conjunction with other lighting.

I think that in the case of 70 watt metal halides, the actinic bulb is almost a necessity as the 70 watt hqi bulb is very yellow (at least the ones I have used are) and the actinics help bring out the coloration in the corals and tone that urine color down a bit.

I think you see the combos in stores mostly because the corals look better. There is one store on Long Island that has the actinics on during store hours and the halides on after the doors close for the night.

Archived