Pod Your Reef

Swapping Pumps in AC HoB's

3twenty5

Has anyone successfully swapped a pump from one Aquaclear filter to another..I am thinking maybe of taking a AC300 and putting a pump from a Mini or 150 in their for lower flow rate..

yes i just took apart a mini and a 300...it seems like the same pump except for the impeller. So I am thinking i could just put a mini impeller on a 300. For some reason I feel it cannot be this easy, I am thinking I may have to restrict flow back into tank somehow since its on a 7g..

Is it gonna be able to prime? The intake tube on the 300 is most likely (I'm not sure of this) larger then that of the mini. Give it a try and see if it primes.

Spudds.

Im going to use the impeller from a AQ150 in a AQ300 I just bought. I plan on forcing rubber tubing in the intake to reduce the inner diameter so that it will be able to self prime. Also removing the basket & I'm going to Tap plastic to find a plastic box to use as a fuge insert box (water will gently flow over the top).

Lastly I'm going to make up some kind of small overflow/skimmer box for the AQ intake pull water from (to keep the surface water clean).

The heater will also be stored in the AQ300, leaving only the intake box and a small powerhead in the tank

(Visa-Therm 6" 50W).

The AQ150, 200, 300 all use the same motor with different impellers.

Archived