Pod Your Reef

Have you ever fragged galaxia? I would love your advice

mvite

Hey everyone- I just got a piece of galaxia that is about the size of a soccer ball. I have never fragged this before but was told that it is difficult.

Do any of you have experience fragging galaxia?

Thanks for your fraggin' advice in advance!

Thats all I do and it seems to be a very hardy coral...Maybe it depends on color though...mine is brown with green tips

Thats all I do and it seems to be a very hardy coral...Maybe it depends on color though...mine is brown with green tips

That's the one I have also. It's huge--I swear it's about 7" around. I got it from an old friend who got out of the hobby. He has had it for 3-4 years and he babied it. He said I "HAD TO" keep strong random current on it and that was about it. I have no room for something that size so I thought I would put in a call to "Dr. Hack"(as a friend of mine refers to it!).

I guess as long as I place the chisel between the "mounds" to start, things should just fracture as they go.

The Propagator

Nope. It will break randomly for the most part. It will break in the general direction you want it to go if your carefull but

you wont get a straight line unless you band saw it.

Nope. It will break randomly for the most part. It will break in the general direction you want it to go if your carefull but

you wont get a straight line unless you band saw it.

I am wondering what's inside....I'm not sure if it's all the skeleton or if it's encrusting something. It's solid and almost round. It weighs about 15 pounds!

More than likely encrusted over a rock. Thats how they grow.

Ése era mi mensaje privado al soccerdude--¡pero infierno tengo gusto el tuyo mejor!

(thank goodness for Spanish transator on Google!)

I was going to give it a try tonight--maybe this weekend. The stuff is amazing. It's magnetized to other stonies. It's actually seeming to go against the water flow with it's longer "feeler" or "stinger" tentacles to reach a hydnophora that is just out of it's reach. It's like it has a brain! Wild stuff.

If I wasn't such a klutz, I would photo some of the fraggin'. It's bound to be a terribly slimy mess!

Naw man its actually a pretty clean fragging...Its super easy you will be suprised

Cool--maybe I will have some photos then. It just doesn't retract when you move it around like you'd think it would. I have shaken it and waved it in, but it just stays out and seems like it would get messy. As I looked at it more closely today, I noticed it was made up of a bunch of "mounds" that formed the huge ball o' galaxia that it is right now. I don't mean the individual mounds or polyps, I mean like snowballs all stuck together.

My wife can be a fish geek for 20 minutes and take some pics of me friggin fraggin.

The Propagator

It's still gonna be a little gooey though.

But not messy. ( other than bits of rock and skelleton that is)

I did it! It was a piece of cake. A very stinky piece of cake, but a piece of cake nonetheless.

All I had to do was to whack it strategically and it came apart very nicely. Each braeak seemed very clean with the large chisel I used.

Here are some pics. My 10 year old photographed for me!

Look at the original colony as compared to my balls!

1.jpg

Ah one..........

2.jpg

And a two......

3.jpg

And a.....twelve or so......

4.jpg

Yummy, this smelled like a combination of milk and raw fish!

5.jpg

Rack 'em!

7.jpg

This is one of the larger frags under 20K

8.jpg

This is irishtexan's frag waiting a week to heal and then will be shipping off to TX!

9.jpg

Thanks for your help---It was super easy. I would recommend fragging Galaxia to everyone!

PRICELESS !!!!!

I am glad you noticed! My kid kept saying, "Dad, you only need one ball to show the size, why do you have two?" as I kept looking around for another ball before the photo shoot. "Just let me take it with one, it looks stupid with the two" she said. I explained that I needed another ball to reference the reference ball.

:)

Archived