ReefCleaners.org

Too much current...How?

3twenty5

I just installed a Aquaclear 301 Ph in my 7g Minibow. How can I determing the correct amount of current for the tank? I set the flow rate to its lowest on the PH and it still seems to b swirling the tank around a little.

on my resetting of my 16 gall, i'm using 3500 ltr/h of flow (roughly), so your flow i doubt is too much.

An equation i use :-

1 ) get the total litre/h flow of your powerhead (as youve set it),

2 ) divide this by the total litres of water in your tank,

3 ) this should give you a figure.

now, the way again i look at it is, or on your resulting number :-

1 ) around 15 is slow flow.

2 ) around 25 is reasonable.

3 ) over 40 is good and choppy.

Be sure your corals like current before using high flow.

if your worried about your flow as to harshness, try using a diffusor or spraybar as to break the flow up, your flow is not the problem, but more than likely the concentration is.

If you look at my pics, you'll see i'm using a reefclean system driving with 2000 ltr/h, basically it is a giant spraybar assembly, which breaks the majority of my flow right down, leaving a couple of tunze powerheads at 500 ltr/h each, and my skimmer at about 500 ltr/h.

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

i forgot this :-

i know someone who runs 80x flowrate, but again he breaks it with spraybars etc and moves it around his tank to a great advantage. with his planned current release system he can bring alive all his dead spots too, a major + in this game !!

cheers agn,

lee

:) :) :) :)

I ended up switching the AC 301 for a Minijet404, the MJ is perfect IMO....very small and also after reading up some more , it seems better for the job

Archived