ReefCleaners.org

LIVE ROCK...Whats the difference?

halibutk

I see multiple differnt types of live rocks (most i know from differnt locations and then you got quality grades also, premium, ultra, etc.) and i really dont know the difference between them. I have seen no good explanation searching on the internet for which is better or any advantages on one from another. Does anybody know or can direct me to where to look for an explanation?

Whats the difference between Fiji, Jakarta, Kiribati, Tonga (branch, slab, ridge), etc...(any other kind ) if any?

Is there a big difference between Premium, Ultra, hand picked, etc.

I know this is a loaded question left up to personal opinion, but which one is the best (colors, biodiversity, etc.)

I know there is a ethical reason to pick up cultured rock, but is there a huge quality difference between wild and cultured live rock? (i.e. cultured rock much less diverse, colorful than live)

Is it good to mix live rock up? However kind of hard when you got to buy boxes and I only need a few pounds for a small reef tank.

Here is another question kind of off topic. Can you fly with live rock?

Let me explain. I live in Alaska with no real fish dealer, so for me to pick live rock myself (if that is even possible) I would have to fly to Seattle or pick some up on my way through LA when I vacation in Mexico (if i need too and am ambitious enough) to pick my own live rock and fly with it.

hope someone can answer my questions or direct me to where i can get them answered.

Christopher Marks

Live rock is live rock. Where it comes from determines how it looks and what critters may be in it. It just comes down to personal preference and price. Personally, I like Fiji or Catalini rock.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't check a box of rock in to go into the cargo area of the plane. I would check with the airline first though.

If you've not yet read this article, it gives some of the basic differences: http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/liverock.php

why wouldn't you just buy your rock online from a respected online reef store and have them ship it to you overnight? If you look on your search button as to who sells the best LR onine you'll find some stores that you could call up and tell them your predicament and if you get a good salesman/woman he will hand pick some nice pieces for you. As for which type of LR to pick...yeah it's pretty much determined by how much you want to spend per lb and what looks nice to you. I have a large center piece of fiji rock (which I found is loaded with critters) and then some smaller pieces around it and I have Tonga branch as decorative pieces( boy I tell you tonga is a heavy sucker ) laying up against the fiji. Another option you might try is searching you internet for a local reef club in your area...it may have to be a couple hours away from you but would be well worth it. The local reef club members will sell you their stuff a ton cheaper than fish stores... there might also be just reef hobbyists in your area that can give you a good idea on where to buy stuff and what to buy. So just do a search on the internet...because I am pretty sure you couldn't possibly be the only person in all of alaska who has a reef hobby.

my $0.02

besides the bio-diversity, the real reason i like LR is their shapes. aquacultured and dry rock just really don't have the intricate formations that give the nook and crannies for hideaways and overall look. don't get me wrong, i strongly advocate aquacultured and seeding dry rock. 75% of the rock i have started as dry tufa, lava, or lace but they're all "live" now.

like chris i prefer fiji. marshall does have good shapes as well and i've seen the same with jakarta but it can vary (mislabeling?). :

btw there's a couple of peeps on this board from anchorage (subzero?). you could shoot them an email to find their sources but most ols guys shouldn't have a problem shipping to you i would think.

Archived