Pod Your Reef

Help preventing backflow!

Seth

I've just made my over tank refugium

I'm using a powerhead to pump the water from the main tank up to the refugium. The problem is if I switch the powerhead off, water will be sucked back into my main tank and will overflow it.

Anyway to prevent this?

Here's a pic of my setup

The way to prevent it from back syphoning into the main tank would be, to hang say a shepherds crook (solid u-bend) over the ridge of your tank. But cut the entry line so it sits a small amount above water level, like an auto top off.

Then if your pump goes off or is switched off, the only water returning would be whats in the line only. It may be worth noting to keep the inward line as short as possible, so then it minimalises too much in-line backflow.

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

You could put a check valve in the line. your pump would force it open during normal operation and it would swing shut not allowing water back down the line when the pump goes off. Check a plumbing supply store.

;)

Christopher Marks

A check valve may greatly reduce the pump's final output though, depending on the type that you get. I'm with Leewink on this one. Either reduce how far the return line goes below the surface of the water, or put a hole in the line at the water's surface.

Man, why didn't I think of that. I like the hole in the line at the waters surface. No chance of a siphon starting. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Doh!!X)

personally i would not use a valve for this, as if it fails - chances are it wont, but if it did and your pump shut off, i would not like that mess.

Stick with an easy one like have the exiting water in to your sump above water line.

my way is 100% failsafe, even a hole can be blocked by a snail or "krud", odds are tiny for this but it could happen.

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

Ok I've made a hole in my tubing at the water line

Didn't have a drill but I used siccors to cut a hole

Works great!

Thanks guys!

Seth -

You may want to add an additional hole. Also, as part of your routine maint, check and clean the holes. They often get crudded (is that a word) with algae, corraline, etc.

-Ed

But if you put a hole in the line, will the pump have trouble getting started again? I wouldn't want a burnt out pump from sucking air.

Mine was a hole in 3/4" pvc. I had a 75g, with w/d having LARGE sump. my return was powered by an Eheim "Hobby-Pump" (forget the #). Mine never had a problem being dry. As long as return pump stays submerged, there should be no prob at all!!!

I mean-- you aren't pushing a 4 ft head are you? i was with my setup, but never had that problem.

HTH

SeaMountain

Ice... The 'Suck' side wouldn't have the hole in the line. Since that is the side the pump is *pulling* from.

The 'Hole' would be on the return side of the line, back into the tank. So if the pump failed or power went out, the hole would allow air to enter the system and prevent the siphoning effect to start. B)

I see. Well, I have decided to not even mess with the holes and just by a check valve. Here is the supplier I used:

www.mcmaster.com

Search for check valve. I bought part number 46835K33. They assured me it was saltwater safe.

Just be aware - check valves can (and do) fail from time to time due to crud or other buildup. Unfortunately, they are generally difficult to clean!

-Ed

Archived