Coral Vue Hydros

sweeeeeeeeet

twflys

Went to the lfs today to stock my first reef tank - a 12 gallon Eclipse (custom pc lighting). Purchased the following:

16 lbs. live rock ($4.88/lb)

20 lbs. aragonite (12 in the tank) ($15)

store supplied 10 gal. salt water ($.69/gal)

test kit - ph, nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, ammonia (free & total) ($20)

hydrometer ($8)

101 powerhead ($20)

(Also an extra 10% off entire sale from the guy that helped me)

$130 for the whole set up!!!

Loaded her up this evening and found that I had a few tag alongs as well!! Baby feather duster and funky looking snail that we had all agreed in the store was just a shell fragment on the rock!! The snail is long and has a segmented shell - fairly big, not sure what kind or if this is a problem for the tank right now. Even without the thick cloud of dust settling in the tank, these two are already strutting their stuff in the tank. Too cool!

Now to business....... have heard conflicting stories on lighting during this cycling period (using my rock for this). What's the best route... no light or full light? Tips / experiences? I am running the cycle with the biowheel and filter... plan on removing this after the cycle concludes. I will post pictures as soon as the dust clears.

P.S. Animal Jungle in Va. Beach offered me great help, great deal today - check them out if you're in the area.

I keept al three of mine lit up during and after. Just set them on timers with roughly 10 hours of day light and you should be fine.

When you have an algae bloom buy cheap little critters that will eat what blooms. This will keep anything on the rock that uses light to grow alive through the cycle provoding they are hardy enough animals to begin with.

I have had shrooms emerge after cycling, feather dusters, tunicates, polyps. Just keep an eye on your water parameters.

if they get to high do a water change during the cycle. The only time you dont want to do a major water change is after you already have either corals or fish in there. Most of them cant take thdrastic change. But to do it with live rock and hitch hikers on it is fine.

Which test kit did you buy. I bought an aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit, and one of the tests didn't work. I brought a water test sample to the LFS to have them confirm my hydrometer was correct and they ran the other tests too. My test said I had no nitrates and the LFS said I had 30 ppm. I called AP and they were very rude and told me they get this call all the time. He proceded to tell me how to do the test, finally when I got rude back, and explained to him I have read the directions 10 times, even once with my eyes closed, I could still pee a darker shade of yellow than what appears in the test tube. Then he told me to send the bottles back, and they will test them, and if bad they will send me new ones.

Point is..... Once you've got things up and running, have your lfs check your water against your tests, especially the hydrometer. The plastic ones can be off by a good amount, but if you have yours checked, you can compensate when you test your water. Mine was off by -.003 ppm. doesn't sound like much, but I don't like throwing a 50 coral in water that isn't right.

Yup, I hear you. I don't think I purchased the same kit as you. mine is a Marine basic from seachem labs. But, I'll take the advice on the hydrometer. Couple more questions, is green hair like algae growth normal, the rocks came with some on them already and just want to make sure it isn't going to be a problem. Also, the salinity is 1.020, if it drops anymore do I raise it by just adding a little salt? Should I not add any cleaner crews until the cycle is complete?

Thanks, I might have some pictures up soon..... if I can figure out how to get the damn flash to not work.

Hair algae is normal. before or after you cycle ( It is realy up to you) You can add some crabs and snails to take care of it.

most digital camera's have the flash symbol as a lighting bolt between two parenteces. Might help you find it? :)

Yup, got it the camera off. It wasn't so much a matter of knowing what to do, but the stinkin digital menu.... well, wouldn't let me turn it off. However, the pics are posted below on the 12-g eclipse. Still, not the greatest pics, but gives you an idea. Thanks for the help!

Archived