Coral Vue Hydros

I need more actinic!

Fliger

I just got some 50/50 PC bulbs. I see hardly ANY actinic! So I need to run these for a few months because I don't have too much money to buy new ones, and I'm upgrading my lighting soon anyway. But I have some room in my hood, can I get some suggestions on getting some actinic? Can I just go to HD & get a standard flo 18" strip & put Reef-Sun actinic in there? Or is there another cheap way to get some in there? The pc retros look too expensive, and this is only a temporary solution. Or can a get a HO or VHO retro for just one light (18" max) anywhere & get a cheap bulb for a few months?

Any help would be great, thanks!

I agree. 50/50 doesnt cut it for visual appearance. I have the 96 watt power quad which is basically 2 50/50 bulbs. It is too white. I am going to save and switch to VHO. I am done with power compact.

Hi Greg, thanks for the input. Actually, what is the difference between VHO & PC, comparing watts to watts. The ballast is cheaper, the bulbs are cheaper - why is everyone so crazy about PC? Is space-saving the only advantage?

PC's definately run cooler than VHO's. They also tend to last alot longer, i.e. recommended VHO bulb replacement 6 months (although, I never had one last that long). Pc's will definately last atleast 6months, sometimes more.

I was running 55 watt 10k, 50/50 and Actinic bulbs over my 25.. I've sinced pulled the 10k and just have the 50/50 and Actinic.. looks much better, and it should help in controling my algae problems...

Do you think that's enough of the other sprectrum? I thought corals needed that white/yellow portion of the spectrum. (my terminoligy might be off!) There's not a lot of 10,000K & below on those 50/50.

Lemme know how it works out! What do you have in the tank?

Well.. not much at the moment due to some algae problems (It's all been moved to a hospital tank) :rolleyes:

We'll see how it goes.. when all is said and done, I'll be returning a green open brain, candycane, GSP, Xenia, shrooms, and zoos back into the 25...

Archived