Cultivated Reef

Oceanic 70g RR progress

mclc26

My 70g Oceanic RR arrived Wednesday with just about everything I ordered. I ordered the Oceanic stand, AGA Sump #2, Coralife 1 X 250wMH + 2 X 65 Actinics, Mag 7 return, 3 Maxijet 1200's, Coralife RO/DI 50gpd, Urchin Skimmer...

The only things not here yet are the Urchin skimmer and the aquacontroller jr (should be delivered today)...Due to a busy work schedule, I haven't had the time to sink my teeth into setting it up yet - that will likely start tonight. Thankfully it arrived just in time as the silicone seal I put on my cracked 24g nanocube started giving way yesterday with water dribbling down the glass - not comforting. I have posted some pics below with a side by side next to the 'Cube for comparison.

post-20645-1154696557_thumb.jpg

post-20645-1154696610_thumb.jpg

post-20645-1154696664_thumb.jpg

post-20645-1154696737_thumb.jpg

post-20645-1154697015_thumb.jpg

post-20645-1154696830_thumb.jpg

that's gonna be nice! I just set up a 65g AGA that is virtually the same size. kinda wish I would have looked into the Oceanic 70g. I was gonna get a Oceanic 58g but apparently they stopped making them.

The tank dimensions are 36.5L X 18.5W X 25H ...The 58g has the same footprint but is only 21 inches high. I was originally going to go with the 58 due to the limited footprint 'real estate' I was placing the tank in, but found the 70 to have the same length and width and gained the extra 12 gallons through the added 4 inches of height...

I have begun the setup...The tricky part is going to be emptying enough water out of the cube to move it to the side without upsetting the livestock, to place the 70g against the wall where the cube is currently...

Thats going to be a nice tank...The only thing I dont like about the oceanic rr tanks is how the o-flow looks....but other than that they are awesome IMO

Should I take the bioballs out? I was thinking about taking 3/4 of the bioballs OUT of the sump to start...Any thoughts there? I am going to have about 60lbs of cured live rock placed in the tank and about 2 inches of live sand..

Take all the bio balls out, you don't need them when using live rock. They're more for fresh water setups anymore.

Where did you get that setup-looks sweet. I've been thinking about upgrading from my nano

I got it from Brad at pets warehouse:

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/

They had the some of the cheapest prices I found, but more importantly, great customer service. I spoke with Brad over there who helped me out with some of the choices. As I'm one to spend a little more to get the best, I tend to go overboard on my selections of equipment. He would tell me if something was overkill for my system and would recommend a product that was less expensive...

Just got back from Home Depot with some clamps and teflon tape to finish up the plumbing - sticking with hoses instead of PVC for now...We'll see how that works out.

Gonna take the bio balls out as well...Thanks for the help.

The tank dimensions are 36.5L X 18.5W X 25H ...The 58g has the same footprint but is only 21 inches high. I was originally going to go with the 58 due to the limited footprint 'real estate' I was placing the tank in, but found the 70 to have the same length and width and gained the extra 12 gallons through the added 4 inches of height...

I have begun the setup...The tricky part is going to be emptying enough water out of the cube to move it to the side without upsetting the livestock, to place the 70g against the wall where the cube is currently...

me and a coworker have moved a 24 gallon nanocube, stand and all, completely full of water several times. although, its not set up as a full reef, so we didn't have anything to fall over on us. but with a strong partner and steady hands, it's possible.

and that setup is AWESOME. i love oceanic tanks and all glass sumps, lol. this tank will be interesting. i can't wait until i can afford one of the new oceanic tanks in the 90-120 range with the euro-style bracing... although at this rate i don't think that's happening any time soon.

I am still mixing water. I have 2 Rubbermaid 37g containers: 1 of which has about 32 gallons in it with the Tropic Marin Pro salt being mixed by a maxijet 1200...reading about 1.027 (same as the 'Cube where all of the livestock is migrating from)...The other bin is still filling and I should hopefully be able to mix the salt in tonight. When I move everything over, I am going to VERY slowly lower the tank down to about 1.023...

After mixing is done, I will move the 'Cube to its final resting spot, slide the 70g in its place, and pump the water from the bins into the sump...Wife will be more than happy to get those bins out of her kitchen.

Picked up my Urchin today with yet another Maxijet 1200 to run it...Almost done on the equipment side..

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, I've picked up about 60 lbs of 'cured' base rock, 55 lbs of some gorgeous (read pricey) cured rock covered in some nice gold, red, and purple coraline. I added the water to the tank 2 weekends ago. Unfortunately, the bulkhead on the dorso pipe wasn't wide enough (3/4") to cover the hole securely, so water started leaking down underneath the tank. I had to replace it with a 1" fitting after emptying the water and re-filled the tank.

I added the base rock last Monday and the nice looking cured rock the following day. I let it sit in the tank until Sunday and monitored my readings just to make sure it didn't start another cycle. Yesterday, I aquascaped the tank and created some nice shelf areas in there with the rock to try and stay away from the usual wall rockwork structures I see. I figure I still need about 30 - 40 lbs of LR to complete the look I'm going for. As I have a lot of big pieces of LR in there now, I am unsure if I am going to transfer the LR out of my 'Cube into it. It just seems that the nano pieces of rock in the 70g will look out of place.

I also have the Urchin setup in the sump and after a few days of 'break in', it is producing some nice skimmate. Unfortunately, the sump cover on the AGA #2 sump I have does not have a cutout for an in sump placement, so I had to cut out an area in the sump cover using a dremel and jigsaw to fit it. Now the cover fits over the Urchin nicely and covers the sump perfectly. When I asked on another board (RC) what tool should be used to cut the acrylic on it, the majority recommended I use a jigsaw and not a Dremel (would melt the acrylic). I found that the Dremel worked excellent on it at the lowest speed setting, while the jigsaw caused some cracks in the acrylic..

I also added 40 lbs of live sand yesterday and should all be settled by the time I get home.

I've got 1.023 on the hydrometer on the 70g, and 1.025 on the 'Cube...Gonna drip add some RO/DI into the Cube to lower it to the same level as the 70g to make an easier transition for the livestock. Ph is the same in both tanks at 8.3...Zero Ammonia...

Going to head over to the LFS when I get home and buy (hopefully) the last of the live rock. I also want to set up the aquacontroller jr. tonight as well.

I have been taking pictures of the progress and will post them this evening.

Archived