Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Pico

Tangman1218

Tangman1218

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and wanted to say hello. I just started up a pico 14 days ago that has been cycled and tested and everything is excellent. I will get some pictures up shortly as I am new to this site and have to figure out how to post them. I'm sure it isnt that difficult :huh:

I have several other tanks, but this is my first Pico. I am going for the challenge of SPS in this little 2.5 Gallon hex tank and so far everything is doing fine. I have a Hydnophora, Ora Blue tip and a Purple Montipora. These are basically frags from the main tank when my Vlamingi Tang (13") decided to spar with the mother colonies and obviously won.

LR consists of 6 pieces, about 3-4 pounds (guesstimate). I didnt weigh it, just moved a few smaller pieces from the large tank over into it. Sand is aragonite. Lighting is a coralife 18 watt fixture. Filtration is a Red Sea nano filter which is doing an incredible job at the moment. Water movement will be with a rio 50. I have opted for now not to have a skimmer, but to do more regular water changes. Livestock is a small cleanup of a sea star and 3 small turbo's (babies at the moment and all from the large tank). Have been debating getting a hermit (should I?). Tank is just now going through it's ritual of a small algae bloom, although I wouldnt even call it a bloom because it is so minimal.

So, I will post pictures shortly (crossing fingers) and look forward to learning more about Pico'sfrom everyone!

These are basically frags from the main tank when my Vlamingi Tang (13") decided to spar with the mother colonies and obviously won.

You should have just put the tang in the 2.5 as punishment. J/K LOL.

Well, finally got around to it. 2.5 gallon Pico, been running now for almost 4 weeks and small bloom has come and gone...

Thanks superpuffer :D I already went through the bloom stage, can u believe it? I know the cleanliness wont last forever, but I'll sure try to keep it that way for as long as I can! I think what helps is the fact the only items that enter the tank are Kent Chromomax twice per week and Kent Tech A/B every other day.

Apex, I have the 18 watt PC by coralife. Gives me roughly 7- 7 1/2 watts per Gallon. That is sufficient to grow anything. Right now, the most important thing is flow. I have deliberately not put the Rio 50 in there so I could see if the SPS frags would be okay with just the Nano Power filter. So far so good, so next week, I am going to add the Rio and they should really start taking off.

Do you guys/gals know if LPS would be ok in a pico with the SPS?

I never realized how exciting pico's could be! :lol:

Thanks superpuffer :D I already went through the bloom stage, can u believe it? I know the cleanliness wont last forever, but I'll sure try to keep it that way for as long as I can! I think what helps is the fact the only items that enter the tank are Kent Chromomax twice per week and Kent Tech A/B every other day.

Apex, I have the 18 watt PC by coralife. Gives me roughly 7- 7 1/2 watts per Gallon. That is sufficient to grow anything. Right now, the most important thing is flow. I have deliberately not put the Rio 50 in there so I could see if the SPS frags would be okay with just the Nano Power filter. So far so good, so next week, I am going to add the Rio and they should really start taking off.

Do you guys/gals know if LPS would be ok in a pico with the SPS?

I never realized how exciting pico's could be! :lol:

I'd say yes but as long as they are far apart and farley well contained, like a candy cane b/c it doesn't have large sweapers... maybe bastos/acans as well :)

jenniebutterfly

tank looks awesome. very nice aquascape. and wow it is clean!!!

I'd say yes but as long as they are far apart and farley well contained, like a candy cane b/c it doesn't have large sweapers... maybe bastos/acans as well :)

not always true with candy canes, check out the sweepers on mine

Coral174.jpg

sorry not trying to steal your thread

sorry not trying to steal your thread

JennieB, Thank you for the compliment! BTW, I'm not one of those stuck up reefers who feels someone is trying to hijack my thread. R/C is notorious for that, which is why I like it here. I appreciate your's and Superpuffer's willingness to point some important items out for me.

Great picture Jennie. Those are some killer sweepers on your candy cane!

Tang

Archived