Cultivated Reef

A tiny problem...

SuperPuffer

SuperPuffer

Ok, so, some quick advise on this would be useful. For my new 3g Picotope, the wood end table it stands on is somewhat expencive. The problem is that when ever a little bit of water spills it seeps under the tank. Now I obviously have to put something under it but I'm not sure what the best thing would be. Any ideas? (I still want this tank to look attractive)

echo-bravo 4-19

theres those leather things you use to dry your car with maybe u can find some in a nice color. or at bed bath and beyond and places like that i thinck they sell these rubber mats that go like under your tv so it wont mess up your furnature, or if u cant find that get some rubber car mats( like the carpets) and cut it to size hth

SuperPuffer

hmmm... thanx for the help.... and actually, i haven't spent any money on peta...

now, anyone w/real ideas???

[EDIT]: Oh, thanx echo, i may look into that...

those funky plastic bath mats they market for dorms are pretty spiffy. Otherwise, why don't you get those clear plastic coverings for dining room tables or something? that way you can still see your nice stand.

glass is your best bet. could be expensive if it is a big table, but you could get the edges ground, and it would still look nice.

clifford513

I used a thin piece of acrylic on a chest of drawers in my bedroom when I had a 10g setup. Worked fine and looked fine, imho.

SuperPuffer

ok so I found some inexpencive cutting board matts and it works very well, it also allows me to slide the tank around :)

i would use a cutting board, that way you have a nice lil prop stand, its flat so you dont have to worry about one side being highter than the other and you can still wipe spills up if they land on the cutting board rather than it soaking into a mat or some fabric of some kind.

*and i just noticed you found a cutting board... geeze, thats what i get for not reading the last post... great job, how do you like it?

it's working out perfect, it's really thin so i can slide everything around well.... i don't think im gonna worry about glass anytime soon ;)

stop sending money to peta and buy an aquarium stand....

hahaha, yeah.

i jsut use an old hand towel folded to fit the footprint of the stand. you may want to get some sort of plastic sheeting to put under that, too, for extra protection.

i was using thos little cork plant mats you get from home depot. Plastic bottom with cork top for my 2.5 gal beta tank. Worked out pretty good. They sell them in a couple different shapes and sizes.

You mean you actually are planning on putting fish into bondage? That's pretty cruel! Did you check to see if PETA will allow you to keep fish? I don't think they will! :o

purple_llama

just be careful, with a mat of any kind you still have issues of water getting under the mat. even glass... water gets on the edge and it just wicks right in under these things.

(unfortunatly i know this from experience)

if you're really worried about the surface i'd try to get a little stand for the tank so you can wipe under it. monitor stands might work for such a little tank.

Archived