Top Shelf Aquatics

Minor Case of ICH!

anthony812

anthony812

Hi guys, gals

Due to the Heat in Southern California lately, my tank's temperature hasn't gone below 80, some times it jumps to 84 or so... Last night..i have noticed that a couple of my fish have very minor ich problem.. 5-10 dots on their fin and body.  It is imposible to catch them in my tank!  What can i do? please help or suggest a drug for them...^_^

I don't know if ich in saltwater is different from ich in freshwater, but I can tell you how I treat ich in my freshwater tanks. I simply raise the tank temp up to 86 degrees for a few days. The ich can't survive in temps above 85, so this effectively gets rid of them without any chemicals. (Any chemicals I know of to treat ich are copper-based, which is obviously no good.) Like I said though, I don't know that it would work the same way with saltwater.

I'd suggest you take the ich infested fish out and put him in a quarantine tank. Just set up an old 5-10gal tank with some water from your current tank, a power head, a sponge filter(w/the sponge soaked in your current system for awhile), and a couple pvc tubing so they can hide. Then use hyposalinity (salinity at 1.09) in the tank so that you can get rid of the ick. Ick can not stand salinity that low. The ick should be gone in about two weeks but you should still keep the fish in there for an additional 1-2 weeks to make sure that the ick is totally gone and out of the system.

You can also use copper to treat the ick as well but I have not experienced using any medication. Hyposalinity works real well and is used by a lot of people.

HTH

vanillabox

get the Ich infested fish and put them in QT.  Lower the salinaty of the tank. Start the fish on a garlic infused diet.  I have a domino damsel that I got from the LFS that had ich so bad they gave it to me.  After 3 days of treatment all visable signs of ich had dropped off, and the fish is now a happy health fish in my 10 gallon seeding tank.

Best part about this is that there are no chemicals to use, and no harm to the fish.

For prevention, I feed my fish with garlic infused food, and I am planing on getting a few cleaner shrimp.

I will never use chemicals again.

Archived