Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

new tank

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

ok guys, I started my FOWLR 75 gal tank. I added the water( premixed from the LFS, after adding the sand it got cloudy and there is a film of foam that wont go away. this was yesterday at about 5pm, today is 8 am and the tank is still cloudy and the thick foam from the aragonite that I added is still on top of the tank, should I worry or is it going to go away? thanks guys! I bought the sand that comes wet and with bacteria. I didn't notice that it was so fine though.

Your best bet is to just give it time, turn off all your powerheads and filters and just let the cloudiness settle. IMO, this is the best course of action. When everything clears turn on your powerheads aimed toward the corners where the foam is settling and it should take care of everything. Enjoy!

reefernanoman

so you guys think that I should turn all the power heads, canister filter and skimmer off? I thought by having all this stuff on it would help?, that is true for my nano cube 24, but I guess this is a different beast. thanks guys, i'll try that then

leave it be... it should go away.... are you running your filter??

yes I'm running the canister filter and all the power heads, whixh are three for now.

The reason for turning everything off would be to allow the stirred up sand/debris to settle. If you are going to run anything, run your filter with a sponge to take all the stirred up matter out of the water.

reefernanoman

ok I turned all the power heads off and left only the canister filter and skimmer on, It looks good already. thanks guys.

reefernanoman

Guys, is it absolutely necessary to have a sump in order for me to have zoos, softies and lps? or is it an option? thanks! I have 260w PC lighting which just may be barely enough for corals. If not i'll just have fish until I can upgrade the lighting and sump.

Nice tank and good job aquascaping. I think you can have softies with that light not sure about LPS. Someone else will know. So it took about 5 days to go from I'm setting up a FOWLR to I want corals. Thats pretty good most do not get past 3 days. HaHa

Good luck with your tank

reefernanoman
Nice tank and good job aquascaping. I think you can have softies with that light not sure about LPS. Someone else will know. So it took about 5 days to go from I'm setting up a FOWLR to I want corals. Thats pretty good most do not get past 3 days. HaHa

Good luck with your tank

Well, i'm not going to put any coral in there until about a month, that is how I did it with my nano cube. I don't have any money left anyways, after buying all the stuff for this tank and my cube, besides, my wife will kill me if I do buy something else! I have to ask her from now on when I can buy something, even if it costs a buck!

How often do I have to clean my canister filter? A book that i'm reading says it has to be done weekly? I clean the sponge on my nano cube weekly, but that is different i guess. If that is the case, I might get rid of the canister and get an AC hang on filter, which is much easier to clean in my opinion.

Archived