Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help on Ich question

KrustyKrab

If you have ich in your tank and you introduce a new fish how long would it take for the tell tale white bumps on the fish to appear?

The reason I ask is my tank was in cycle and after 2 1/2 weeks I wanted to buy a cheap damsel to see how a fish would do in the tank, I picked up a black & white stripped damsel at Petco for 4 bucks. He had been fine for 2 weeks with no signs of stress he spent most of the time trying to eat anything floating in the water and when I feed him he would eat with gusto. I went ahead and bought a clownfish at my LFS that their tanks look pristine and they have the most variety of corals and fish in my area, when I put the fish in my tank and he looked good that night but when I woke up in the morning he had white spots all over him and I was like how in hell did he get ich? I did a small scheduled water change and for the rest of the day he would only swim in one spot so I had a feeling he was on the decline but the white spots kind of faded on him. Next morning he was dead and the damsel started to die. Does it sound like they got or had ich and should I leave my tank fishless for the next month?

Archived