Coral Vue Hydros

Upgrade from 24G NanoCube to Oceanic 70g RR

mclc26

Well, after dealing with a cracked 24g Nanocube, I have finally justified the purchase to myself, and more importantly my wife, of a new Oceanic 70g RR tank...

The Oceanic 70g RR has been ordered and is on its way. Delivery expected tomorrow afternoon. I also ordered the Oceanic stand, AGA Sump #2, 1 X 250wMH + 2 X 65 Actinics, Mag 7 return, 3 Maxijet 1200's, Coralife RO/DI 50gpd, Urchin Skimmer...

Tomorrow I'm ordering the AquaController JR and I think I will also go with a Litermeter III autotopoff, dosing pump...What do you think about these?

Gonna run it for a few days and see how the temp runs. May have to order a chiller...

I'm going to transfer the contents of the 'Cube to the 70g after a few weeks of cycling... Question is, I am going to pick up another 40lbs+ of cured live rock from my LFS to go into the 70g first - should I transfer the 35 lbs of LR from my 'cube to the 70g at the same time or should I wait for the tank to cycle first? I have some nice growth on my 'cubes LR and don't want to kill it..

I will post pictures of the tank's progress..

Thanks for all of your input and help everyone..

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

I recently did the exact same thing. I let the new rock cycle in the tank first, then added the rock from my cube. When everything was cool, I added the fish. Over the next few weeks I added the corals. Everything worked out well and your corals are going to love the extra light and flow. Mine look 10 times better in the bigger tank. Here's a blurry pic from a few weeks ago.

post-17614-1156463734_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

I recently did the exact same thing. I let the new rock cycle in the tank first, then added the rock from my cube. When everything was cool, I added the fish. Over the next few weeks I added the corals. Everything worked out well and your corals are going to love the extra light and flow. Mine look 10 times better in the bigger tank. Here's a blurry pic from a few weeks ago.

I bought some nice cured rock ( about 100 lbs) 2 weeks ago from my LFS and have been letting it sit in the tank...Added about 2 inches on live sand this past weekend. So far no spikes - could be because I got the rock home from my LFS and into my tank within an hour after purchase. I want to start transferring my livestock over this coming weekend utilizing drip acclimation in a bucket.. All my levels are perfect and have gotten them to match the same levels in the 'Cube...

Do you think I could make the move over all of my livestock this weekend?

Archived