inTank Media Baskets

boiling water......

twflys

As a cheap alternative to buying filtered water, or a filter for tap water, or using distilled water. Is boiling water a simple yet effective way to add water to my reef aquarium?

Thanks!

I would have to say a big 'NO' on that one. Boiling is fine if you wanna drink it however, all that it does is kill all the potential bacteria in the water and doesnt remove chlorine or any heavy metals that may be in there. Again thats fine for drinking water but a big no-no for a saltwater tank. The only other alternative to buying a good RO/DI system to filter your water is to buy distilled water in jugs or....... perhaps your LFS sells gallons of RO/DI water. Unfortunately, buying jugs of distilled over and over again isnt very cost effective especially if your aquarium is a little larger and your prolly better off buying a good RO/DI system in that case. Of course you ARE posting your question on a nano-reef board which would lead me to believe your tank is not too large so perhaps jugs of water isnt a bad idea......on the other hand another upside to having an RO/DI unit is that youll never have to make trips to the store to stock up on jugs of water again which is a big pain in the arse.

If you want to make your own still I don't think that's a problem, but boiling it and letting it condense back into whatever you boiled it in doesn't serve too much of a purpose.

Archived