Top Shelf Aquatics

Question for all of ya(involving aquacultured rock)

junglejim83

junglejim83

OK a few months back i asked about the idea of seeding dry base rock and 'turning' it into live rock. The responses i got were that lace rock, feller stone, or any sort of limestone should be ok and in terms of good bacteria it would be ready ina few weeks. well here's my next question. If i buy 10-20 lbs of really good coraline and life covered live rock and i threw it in a pale with say another 20 lbs of unlive rock and a powerhead and kept the parameters right and the Ca up how long would it take for the dry rock to become somewhat covered with life and coraline. Also, would i want to have some pc's on a timer over the barrel. <<>> I am going to set up a 20-25 g tank this summer and was wondering if the rock would be ready and how it would look(and be especially for tank's health)b/c i am trying to keep the cost down I'm in college. Or do you think the benefits of just going with 40-50 lbs of lr would outweigh the costs. And, the extra effort of going throught this would not be an issue to me, i want it to look good.

Jim

P.S. i figure if i have 20 lb of good live rock o can put the seeded rock more underneith it. Any responses would be appreciated

www.liverocks.com

to make "Bacteria Active" live rock all you need is to #### in yer tank, and add a live culture.

seriously. I'm not flaming lol/ ps: drink a LOT of water and urinate in the toilet to purify yer system fer a 1/2 day then simply leak in yer tank... : D

NO ! I'M JOKING !

but you could. LMAO. :woot:

LIVE rock is more than just bacteria. It is Annelids, crustacians, bivalves, mollusc and gawd knows what else drifts and settles on the rocks in the ocean.

Tl; Dr version:

copugh up the $ fer good rock and seed yer stuff in a BIOLOGICALY stable environment is tough.

www.garf.org

I personaly (along with Fant, Tiny and MANY other reefers dislike their Junk), but they culture a LOT of rock like you are talking of.

check their site.

FWIW, if you make decent live rock, I'll take some :happy:

junglejim83

dave. thanks for your response. do you thinkthis process would be worth it or do you think a hard to by etra $50-100 dollars would be worth it for real lr, or not?

Jim

dave,

did you read that post about ####ing into the tank too? i forgot where i read it, i'm thinking it was about.com but i don't remember for sure. it was sometime last year (fall?) i read that. the guy claimed it cycled faster. from what i remember everyone thought it was a put on until the guy swore he did it (only for couple of tanks tho).

jungle,

after about six months you should be hardly able to tell the difference. after a year only you will be able to tell the difference. ;)

seriously when dealing with nanos, get the BEST possible rock you can afford. it will make all the diff in the world. ;)

Mark my word on that.

Quality = showing in yer nano as it will have little room fer error or lapse in growth for chit rock that has no life in it other than a few bacteria.

and uh...... Tiny.... yeah ... I tried it ONCE...... truth be told, (and I don't want to be starting a revolution here) ####en DOES work.. :woot:

PS: just don't think 'bout it while siphoning yer tank YUO= Kool LOLz

Gazahghghhg gahgaggaghhhhh gaghh gahhh HAHAHAHAHAH

MrConclusion

AGREE WITH DAVE!

Live rock IS worth the money!

Live rock is the name of the game here!

Good live rock has all kinds of really cool stuff: worms, crustaceans, encrusted corals, calcerous algaes, macro-algaes, bugs, cooties, chiggers, and the occasional BEM (Bud Eyed Monster) in it. Not to mention all kinds of stuff that will spring to life after 2-8 months in your tank. Bacteria-alive rock is crap.

Some of the live rock I've bought turned out so cool I never needed or wanted to put corals on them. Hundreds of tube worms, sessile oysters, tiny 'pods, you need all of that stuff if you want to enjoy the tank.

When you buy rock, make sure the dominant color is not WHITE!

Also, disregard all the stories you hear that go... "I got 6 tons of live rock with encrusted blue-tip acropora and for 49 cents per pound delivered to my door by armored car" and just go looking for pretty, pink rocks with lots of critters. Good rock is worth paying up to $6 per pound, especially if you can hand pick.

junglejim83

guys thanks for the feed back. I'll go spend the extra $. IN retrospect one of the coolest thing about setting up my first nano was watching all the awsome life come out of it(and that was with ######ty rock IMO)

Jim

Hey Jim, how ya been? When you set this tank up, get the rock mail-order. There are a bunch of sites selling 30-45lbs boxes for far less than it would cost you locally. You getting an apt at school, or are you setting this up at home? Either way, let me know when the tank's ready for livestock. I owe you brother.

Archived