Top Shelf Aquatics

a lighting question

rleon3003

i have a 55g with only 192w of PC. ill be adding another 54w of PC to add to it for 246w of PC. i can only do PC lighting cuz MH i would need a chiller and everything else is too expensive. wat is a good amount of PC light to have in a 55g reef? im thinking only LPS and softies.

• 3 weeks later...
non-photosynt

What you already have should be enough for a keeping them. More lighting is advised, but mine soft corals are alive under 110W in 90g, in the top area of the tank, for a month already. Even softies and LPS - some require more light, some less.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a 55g with only 192w of PC. ill be adding another 54w of PC to add to it for 246w of PC. i can only do PC lighting cuz MH i would need a chiller and everything else is too expensive. wat is a good amount of PC light to have in a 55g reef? im thinking only LPS and softies.

I have the coralife 150 MH with 2 65 watt pcs on my 75. I was worried about the heat but my water temp stays at 80 with no fans running. My light is about 7-8" from the water. I must say the MH light is really nice.

Robb

i like the MH light but over here in southern california it gets hot. and if i go mh i have to buy another canopy then another stand and i dont think its worth it. but thanx anyways

Archived