SaltCritters.com

choosing inhabitants

DongShenYin

How can I tell good quality live rock from bad? They all look like brown chunks of rubble to me. I don't see any life or stuff growing on them. Also, since I live in NYC, I assume everything is twice if not triple the prices of everywhere else, so is there any way for me to tell what's a good bargain and what's not?

really, the only way to tell is to study the life in and on the rock.

Go to liverocks.com or gulf-viewmarine.com (if that is the right site) and check out the photos of the various types of rock they sell.

Then, head to New World Aquarium, which is where I am assuming you are looking in NYC, and look at the crap they pawn off as live rock. also, notice their overpriced livestock. The store is a ripoff. Nice stuff at times, especially the $20 frags but that is it. Way too overpriced.

Head to aquatic creations in Brookllyn (one or two subway stops out of NYC and about a 10 minute drive by car) and get the same stuff, maybe better, for less money. Call them first tho as they don't have a huge inventory.

Purchase online, get the primo stuff from one of the sites mentioned above and see why they call it live rock.

Thanks! I live in Queens, and about 6 blocks from Fish Town, USA... they're selling Fiji for 3.99 a pound but I don't see what's so special about the rock.

*WOWS at the sight of REAL live rock and then sighs at the shipping costs....

duckhuntboy

If you look hard enough, you should definately see stuff growing on them. They shouldn't be all brown, but good rock should have some corraline IMO (the purple stuff). You won't be able to appreciate the live rock til you get it in your tank for a while and really look at it, but at first glance, it shouldn't look like ordinary brown rubble.

Archived