Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best storebought HoB to convert for fuge?

3twenty5

Ok I have been searching and reading the site the last few days and have heard and seen different things. I have a 7g Minbow running 2x32 CSL lamps retrofitted. I have a AC 301 powerhead for flow in tank. I was going to go with a CPR Aqquafuge but have been getting mixed reviews, and the thing that scares me most if the overflow issues some people are having. So I know that a importanbt factor of a fuge is to be able to keep Sand and also a good deal of water in it. So I ask what would be the best Hob Filter to convert to a fuge. I see some people have tried the aquaclear and are not entirely happy, some people the tetratec...so lets get a final decision here..thanks

I plan on using the biggest AquaClear that will fit my tank. I'm planning to keep LS in the 'fuge so I'm going to add a baffle to keep sand in the HOB. I'm going to run the whole thing on a spare tank to make sure it all works right before putting it on my main tank.

The reason I picked the AC is that it's more wide than deep and it has one large chamber, not two little ones.

That fuge that he is selling is built just like the CPR aquafuge and ecosystems refugiums. You will have the same problem with flooding if the power goes out.

CPU

Looks like I will probably be buying a fuge from him insted of making a HOB filter into one. The prices are about the same I might as well get a real one. Getting the 12x4x12 for my Mini-Bow 7 I am going to build a stand of it so it actually sits on somthing insted of hanging.

I actually emailed him about a 12x4x14-15 skimmer/fuge combo. Im sure a lot of my fellow mini-bow'ers would like to know if he can do it and the cost.

Cunroe mentioned there being a flooding problem with a power outage. A way to combat that problem would be to put a siphon break at the top of the inlet tube (I'm actually amazed more people don't use them!). It might even be possible for him to put one in for you. In the case of power outage, only the water in the lift tube would backflow into the tank (~1 or 2 cups) plus any water that is above the overflow, but fuge wouldn't be able to siphon back into the tank. When the power comes back on, the PH would self prime and away you go!

I saw that post! Dave has some of the best ideas and even when he classifies them as "cheap-o, cheezball, ghetto, low-budg, etc" They're often pretty ingenious.

BTW Chamkeeper.........you're up for "Avatar of the year!"

Archived