Innovative Marine Aquariums

help me choose a skimmer for 18g

sonic

I'm currently cycling my 18g via aqua, I'm thinking of buying a skimmer but don't have much $$ to spend. so far I have looked at

Skilter 250 but alot of people seem to have problems with them. I also looked at the Prism some people like it, some don't. Then I came across the lee's skimmer for $18!! is this a piece of crap or does it actually work? help please, so confused!!

If you do a search for "skimmer", you get Oh...........a billion hits!

First off, you gonna find: peeps who hate, peeps who like, and peeps in the middle on skimming a nano. I think this topic, clams in a nano, and yellow tangs in anything smaller than 40g are the most debated topics on this site.

Alright, if you did the search, you see Dave ESPI's comments stating: "you get what you pay for" and I think Dave said something under $80 is pushing it (sorry Dave if I got that wrong). I personally have a $120 skimmer and it pulls plenty of junk. That being said, Glazer put a cool lookin' otto skimmer ($42) on his fuge and he's has seen one in action and swears it works. The Skilter is sort of the red headed step child of the skimmer world. Alot of peeps use them, cuss at them, tweak and re-tweak them, but in the end they say they work. I think for the $$$, people seem most happy with the prizm, CPR, or Remora on a nano (with the CPR and Remora being the more quality units). I think the biggest beef with prizms is the noise. But everything has a trade off. Of course, you would have seen all of that with a search. Oh yeah, I think the Lee's looks very cheap and I'm not sure how well it would skim. If you have to got low-ball, ghetto, cheapo......run the modified skilter, or do more water changes!!!

Thanks for the quick response!!

Yeah I searched and looked through tons of posts, like you said seems like everyone has a different oppinion. I was going to get a cheapo skilter that the guy at LFS said was the best thing since sliced bread, glad I read all these posts first.

I found a CPR bakpak for $60.00 shipped used, it has the pump and its in good condition. is this a good buy?

You get a ton of opinions on skimming here. Many people say if you have to skim you bioload is too hi or you need to do more water changes. I repect that, but personally I travel alot and the wife just hasn't showed the interest in taking care of the tanks. So, I opt for the skimmer to help me. I've had to problems (other than the occasional skimmer freak out......which they all do).

I found some good deals on Ebay for CPRs. Just remember that if it you buy the non-reef one (with all the "biobale"-black curly stuff), remove it. The other cool thing about the CPR is you can remote mount your heater in the skimmer, getting it outta the tank.

I say go for it!

great, thanks again man!

I think of the skimmer as an insurance policy, I will still do periodical water changes and such but its nice to have that security there. I know the CPR that I found was used on another reef setup, so I'm pretty sure its set to go, will check in case tho. Is there anything I should look in particular on this unit when I get it that might cause trouble, I've never used one of these before, shoot I've never even used a skimmer before.

AZDesertRat

I used the Skilter for years on my 20 and was happy with it. I did do the usual wooden airstone mod with a Rena 200 air pump and replaced the floss with a Whisper Triad sponge cut to fit. I think for the $$$ you cannot beat it. I recently switched to a BakPak II and and am thrilled with it. I have the internal bubble trap and still have room for a VisiTherm 50w heater in the skimmer. Buy what your budget allows and upgrade as time goes on. If I added up all that I have spent in the last 15 years it would scare me but when I only spend a little here and there I am happy. Just like the skimmer I have progressed from 2 NO fluorescent tubes, to 3, to 4, to a 2x55w PC to a 3x55w PC and so on. My live rock and corals have also increased over time but my livestock has remained the same and I have a Hippo tang that is now 13 years old that lived in that tank for the first 10 years of his life and just lost a 3 stripe damsel that was the first fish I cycled that tank with in 1990. Bigger or more expensive isn't always better. Do your own thing.

Sonic.......The CPR is a good skimmer. When it comes in, check the o-ring on the cup (if it is nicked or frayed....buy a new one from your LFS or CPR online) and look at the acrylic case really good. Basically, check it for cracks and/or leaks. Beaware, that acrylic can have "spider" cracks but not leak. My skimmer is a HOB just like the CPR, but has about twice the water volume, so it's pretty heavy. Needless to say, it's got a bunch of tiny cracks. Just keep and eye on them. Other than that, happy skimming.......

P.S. remember, search before you post or you might get one of the "flamers" to light you up! It happens.

AZ....what size tank did you have the skilter on? And did it really pull lots of junk out?

I am going to be the odd ball out on this one guys. I bought a prizm and use it on my 29 gal. It took about three weeks to completely break in and now skimm's like a champ. It realy pulls out some realy stinky black and tan looking shiat from my water.

You will have to play with the flow valve a little bit to get used to it but you do with ALL skimmers. I dont care what anyone says if you get evap. You have to adujust your skimmer. When you do a water change. You have to adjust your skimmer. When you put your hand in the tank you will have to adjust your skimmer.

As for the nois? There isnt any coming from my prizm. I mean you hear a faint bubleing and the smothered sound of an hob motor but no more than an hob filter makes.

:)l

I used the very first version of the CPR bakpak on my 55 gallon reef back in the mid nineties. It worked extremely well. Had no complaints about it except that the venturi is noisy. But, if you buy any venturi skimmer, it will be noisy.

I gave a co-worker that skimmer in 2001. And it still worked very well. I kept that 55 gallon tank for two years. I think I did maybe 2 water changes over that entire time. And I kept all kinds of corals and clams. So, it works hehe.

I have a friend who's already been through two cheap skimmers on his nano. If he would've put that cash toward a better quality skimmer, he would've been better off. The thing I didn't like about the first version of the bakpak was that it was made of clear acrylic. So, the entire inside of the thing was always coated with coralline. Not a big deal but a pain in the butt to keep clean.

I'm getting back into the hobby and I'm going with an AquaC Remora skimmer on my 18 gallon Via Aqua. I hear that once it is broken in it is darned quiet for a protein skimmer. And, I've heard it works really well. I hope this is the case.

AZDesertRat

Onthe fly,

I had my skilter on a 20 high and after doing the modifications to it it pulled lots of evil smelling brown or green junk out just like it is supposed to. Before mods they are noisy and the air injector make bubbles way too big. After the wooden airstone/pump mod the bubbles are very fine just like my BakPak. I did away with the orignal floss and carbon pad inserts because they get too expensive over time and are not reusable. With the Triad foam in its place you just rinse it out as needed and put it back. For someone on a budget I think these are a good place to start. I bought my BakPak used after running into a good deal on one of thr boards or I probably would not have it today. Now I'm looking for something small enough for my new Via Aqua 418W curved corner glass 15 gallon.

I have the 18g ViaAqua 680 tank with hood. I was going to go with the CPR Bakpak IIR but I got side tracked by my LFS. They have a close relationship with Commodity Axis which is the company that makes the ViaAqua line. They were using the new ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer, basically what it has on it is an all in one filter/skimmer. It is an HOB mechanical/biological filter with a Ventri Skimmer attached. The LFS was using these Multi-Skimmers on all their display reef tanks ranging from 50 gallons to the Via Aqua 18gallon and they all looks amazing. So you might want to take a look at this new invention to the Reef Word. This device can even be equiped with a UV light. So I went and got the model without the UV light for 128 dollars. So far it is working great but I do not have anything that would cause a bioload(just added the water with the salt mix to my tank)

Jeremy

AZDesertRat

Goliath,

Keep us posted on how you like the Via Aqua filter/skimmer. I saw them in a shop in California when I was there last weekend but have not heard anything about them.

Here is what I can post about the Multi-Skimmer so far. It is a very easy installation, I can fit my 50watt Titanium Via Aqua Heater in the Filter Compartment. The Ventri skimmer is about as lound as a CPR II HOB skimmer. The skimmer itself seems to be working well, I have already trapped a decent amount of big particles from the water. I will post pics after I get all the LR and LS in the tank and running for a while.

Jeremy

deacon hemp

I have an 18 gal and i got talked into buying a sea clone 100 by an lfs worker and it really does pull junk out but i have converted

to using no skimmer.two complaints-noise,and the big maxi jet with prefilter in tank.mine use to pull a full cup in 4 days,no mods.

i would go with a bac pac,or just an aquafuge instead.

I have a 20 gal High, use to use a prizm skimmer. I didnt like the noise and the constant adjustments, took if off and waiting on my CPR aquafuge. doing twice a week water changes until it arrives and the tank still looks good and trates under control. P.S. uiuse an aqua clear mini filter with no guts to break up the dreaded oil film skimmer tanks get at times. no problems thus far.

Sorry if thi sounds silly, but i just bought a AR620 Aqua Viva tank ( by the way i'm in Austalia so hi) and i didnt' buy a skimmer! do i need one? the bloke at the store said if i only keep approx 5 fish and 5 coral, i won't need one! what do u reckon? The tank is measured at approx 20G, bit less. My other question is are the Aqua Viva tanks made from acrylic? do the metal clips that hold the plastic covering for the lights pollute the water? thanks for anyone who helps me out!!!!

AZDesertRat

You don't have to have a skimmer but it does improve water quality if you do. What are you using for filtration now? 5 fish is a lot for a 20 gallon. I try to keep 2 or at most 3 small ones in a tank that size. I presently have a tomato clown and six line wrasse and am shopping for a clown goby. The metal clips should be stainless and will not affect water quality and ViaAqua tanks are glass not acrylic so should be much more scratch resistant. I got my ViaAqua 418W home and it was cracked! I shipped it back to the manufacturer and they will receive it today and hopefully send out a new one by tomorrow. I have 30lbs of aragonite, 20lbs of live rock and numerous small coral frags in another tank just waiting to move into its new home once it gets here.

I'm using the fully enclosed lid, which has a trckle filter, it goes through black sponge, then white, then creamic cylinder things, then back up this stuff call matrix, and some cleaning stuff in a bag, then back into the tank. My other question is currently i'm getting the salt levels right but the hydrometer gives me different readings depending on where i test it on the tank? whats goin on there? Thanks for your help! Its actually called an Aqua One tank

AZDesertRat

You should be taking your hydrometer samples from 6" below the surface. There should not be any difference across the tank. One possibility is there may be entrained air in some of the samples which would indicate higher than actual. try shutting you filter down for 5 minutes or so and sample.

Here is a copy of the email I sent Ben about this situation:

Hello,

I would suggest a Protein Skimmer for this setup because of the amount of water in the tank. 28 gallons is getting to be a good enough volume for a good skimmer. The reason for this is the smaller tanks that are used are anywhere from 2 gallons up to 15 gallons have such small amounts of volume in water that the water changes would be enough to get rid of the protein

and add back the essential vitamins and minerals needed in a the tanks. The bigger setups like yours needs to have this kind of filtration because you would kill yourself with water changes to accommodate the load. So look into this setup, because your tank has a totally enclosed hood, I would look for a Sump or fuge setup where the skimmer can go into.

Jeremy

Archived