inTank Media Baskets

Bi-Color Blenny Quiestion

sgoodine

Good day folks. I have read in other posts that a Bi-color Blenny will eat hair algae. My questions is, if he is the only fish in the tank and I do not feed the tank, will he feed off of the algae or will he try to eat my corals? I have also read that that they are "semi-reef safe"??

Thanks

just reading semi safe for reefs would be enough of a deterrant for me. the truth is, many people have kept fish or inverts that were deemed reef safe and had issues and many have kept unsafe fish or inverts in reefs with no issue. Personally, I would try and minimize the risks as much as possible and if one person had a problem with something, I would avoid it.

My 2 cents.

Reef tanks are about all I have ever seen bi-colored blennies in. They are primarily herbivorous, but will eat flakes, frozen, anything. They may perch on corals, but other than that shouldn't bother them at all.

Who said they were "semi-reef safe"? I have always read that they were wonderful additions.

I did have one, but he swam up my skimmer outflow and flopped out onto the top glass and cooked under the lights.

Sjpresley, I have had my Bi-Color Blenny for a few days now and I must say that your description of this Blenny is right on. He does perch on mushrooms and occasionally on my button polyps but does not bother anything at all. He also seems to have a great personality. However, he doesn't bother with my hair-algae either though; I was hoping that he would eat that. I guess I'll have to feed him something today :)

Thanks for your reply.

Shane

If the hair algae is long/tall many things won't bother with it. If you clip it down short he may start "kissing" the rock it is on.

I am guessing he is pecking at rocks, glass, etc....just not the long stuff.

Archived