Coral Vue Hydros

Caulerpa turning white.

arpanlib

hi,

i bought some caulerpa yesterday and it has started turning white.

the water paras are good and nothing has been changed in the tank.

please advise as to what could this be and how to make the algae look like one.

thanx for the help.

arpanlib

Don't know what you mean by "making the algae look like one" but as far as the white goes, give it a few days. What happens with caulerpa is that it was probably ripped from it's roots and thrown in the bag. Believe me, it is a hardy macro once it becomes stable, give it a few days and you will see the white stringy roots start to grow. It will then eventually take hold of the rock and set root. The white will seem to disapear and you will start to notice notice green growth. Depending on the variety you have, the next stage would be to take over the entire tank and entwine its roots into everything, choking the system to death. That was a joke, at least sort of a joke, it could actually happen, I assume you are using it in a fuge or sump hopefully.

another possibility is that it is going sexual. pieces of my girlfriends caulerpa started turning white, almost clear, in the weeks preceding the caulerpa turning sexual. when the caulerpa did turn sexual, what was left of it was all white/clear like it was an empty shell. her tank turned completely green like pea soup. her clown fish died the next day. i personally will never put the stuff in a tank again. if yours is turning white i wouldnt trust it.

hi,

thanx for the help.

to my horror........... the cl. racemosa was in 1 litre water from the tank. the beaker was filled with water and the racemosa was dumped in it. the temp. might have dipped down to 16 degress celcius. could this have caused the whitening ???

the next morning my servant put it in the tank !!!

when i learnt of this i was in a horrific stage. what to do ???

arpanlib

hey,

as i put the racemosa in the tank this morning, it is becoming green again !!! what could be the reason it turned white ???

thanx for any help.

arpanlib

like mxpro mentioned it could've sensed a stress level (i.e. temp change) and prepared itself to reproduce into spores in order to survive (i.e. going sexual). when it was introduced into the nutrient-rich tank it probably then sensed a good survival possibility.

btw what parts were going white? the whole algae or just the tips? tips going white can just denote new growths. hth

hi,

some of the stems and some of the tips had gone white, but recovered about 90% till i switched off the lights...........

now i noticed that during the night again it has started becoming white........ i switched the lights back on and to my horror, they have again turned white 50% ............

what could be the possibility ........... thanx for any help.

arpanlib

After surviving mine going sexual and turning the tank white I threw it all out and stocked my fuge with red macro algae. It seems to grow much more slowly. I wonder if it goes sexual?

Archived