Innovative Marine Aquariums

please help crushed coral cc live sand problem southdown

smallreef

Hey all-

so I've started a 29 gallon reef tank around a month ago now. I have posted a couple of messages here so far and have gotten great advice however the problem i've found with this hobby is that everyone has something different to say about every topic...

My problem? or not problem? is that I used 2 inches of crushed coral with 2 inches of live sand ontop of it when setting up the tank. I have read numerous posts that crushed coral is not good and small critters cannot survive in this. I've also read that crushed coral will eventually rise about the sand? I've also read that even with an all sand dsb that a dsb in a 29 gallon tank is not suffecient enough even if it is all sand dsb? Now I have also read about Southdown playsand? Has anyone heard bad things about southdown sand? I am just really confused on what to do?

Has anyone had success with using the method I have right now? can small critters get through the small crushed coral pieces? Am I going to completely redo the tank for no reason other than some people are too into advice and other setups like the one I have will work? Please someone that has LONG term success help before I go crazy setting up a whole new tank for no reason.

thanks

Archived