Cultivated Reef

a couple pics of my new 20gal drilled tank

reefriot

well after seeing lunch's 20 he ordered from christian. i had to have something similiar. so today my blue bulkheads finally showed themselves so i started in with the dremel. i plan to paint the back blue to match the bulkheads and there all 1".

the plan is to build a small overflow box in the upper right corner of the tank out of blue acrylic(buts its being special ordered and not here yet). then the far left will be the return with the center hole being the intake of a closed loop with a spraybar behind the rocks below. i may end up just doing some fancy plumbing and just upsize the return from a mag 7 to a mag 9 and run all 3 returns off of it with 2 of the uppers hooked to one of those new SCWD wavemakers. havn't decided yet but still have alot of work left to do to it. i plan on lighting it with either a 150w or 250w HQI(got the 150w 20k but also have a nice 250w 10k pfo pendant just need a ballast). i'm going to use a 10gal tank as the sump and have drilled a return bulkhead as well but thinking i might see about picking up a iceprobe before i set it up to control the heat. my 7gal bow has the 150w over it as a test and with no chiller the temp rose to 85 so i just went and got a fan to keep some air moving. since the 7gal has no sump i think its going to heat up alot worse then the 20gal would as my prior experiances with alot of water movement helps to cool the water so to speak. only thing is theres more heat from the pumps.

anybody out there have a similiar lighting over a similiar tank with no chiller? anyways heres a couple pics

heres the sump, i will be putting in some walls and baffels and maybe another bulkhead for the skimmer as i was thinking of making a mini fuge(or place to grow some macro) in the center of the sump.

quiksilver5768

I like the drilling job but I would suggest something different. I would suggest one of the two options...

1) You make the overflow in the middle, all the way from the bottom to the top. Make a small durso standpipe variation and use the lower bulkhead as your output and use the top 3 bulkheads for your inputs.

2) Make a smaller overflow box which uses the top middle bulkhead as your outflow. Then you make your spraybar using the bottom bulkhead and use the top bulkheads as normal inputs as your would in the first option i said.

I suggest these options because, IMO, it will look much nicer if you choose one of those ways. It will look nicer since it will all look symetrical rather than having the overflow on the left or right. Personally, I would go with the first option I mentioned which has the full overflow from top to bottom and just 3 normal inputs from the top (one will be coming op through and out of the overflow...).

i thought of that but you lose all that extra space from the full overflow and since the tank bottom is not drilled seems kinda unecassary. i might go with the overflow in the center. and then do returns on either side that way it will get a more deverse flow throught the tank. the other thing with doing a full overflow from top to bottom is if the drain line is up at the top then the overflow box will be full of water that in essence isn't circulating. am i wrong? beacuse the water being skimmed by the top of the box will just flow straight into the bulkhead at the surface. hell i don't know yet what i will end up doing

opps just saw that you said to use the bottom bulkhead as the drain. that makes sense but i would have to add an elbow to add a standpipe and that would restrict the flow alot i'm sure. i like the idea but think the upper will probablly be best.

Where did you get the blue bulkheads from out of curiosity? I am guessing you could always get some marine safe paint from aquatic ecosystems or something but fit would probably be better if they were cast in blue plastic to start.

*Must resist urge to start building another tank!!!*

I am up to 8 tanks now if you include my curing tank and quarantine tank .

Archived