Cultivated Reef

Via Aqua Aquariums, any experience?

AZDesertRat

I bought a Via Aqua 418W 15 gallon curved front (not bowfront but curved front glass corners) tank this week end while on an out of state trip. When I got it home I discovered it was cracked even though it was in the original factory packaging which is not damaged in any way. I know, shame on me for not checking before leaving the LFS. My problem is two fold in that the LFS where I bought it does not do any mail order business and to top it off the distributor, Commodity Axis is out of town until next week at a trade show so I cannot get an answer from them on how to handle the situation. I guess my question is does anyone own one of these tanks and is cracking a common problem? The LFS says they have been a very good product and have had few problems with them and is willing to speak to the distributor for me when they return.

The setup wasn't cheap at $159 but it includes a 2x18w PC fixture, a powerhead and an undergravel plate which I will pitch. The curved corners look awesome. I don't know why there are not more places selling these kits unless maybe they don't think someone will pay that price.

Sure would like some input.

I just bought an 18 gal set up and it has been cycling for about 2 weeks. The only problem I had was when I first got the tank and set it up the ballast wasn't working on one side of the lights. For some unknown reason...probably a loose wire inside, the lights started working in 2 days and since then no problems. It's a wonderful looking tank! The main problem is there is a lot of water loss due to the open top...just use cardboard and cut out a template that will fit in the top of the tank minus the space needed for any hang on the back filters or cords...then take that template to a hardware store and have them cut it out in acrylic, make it a thick piece of acrylic!! Thin sheets will droop and be no good. Then just slip it into the top of the tank which will cut down on evaporation! As for the filter and power head that comes with the tank...I ended up pitching both...the powerhead doesn't work unless you use the UG filter since there are no suction cups to stick the powerhead on the glass. My 18 gal came with 2 36watt lights which is nice and bright. I got mine from CustomAquatics.com Hope you get everything resolved with the tank and once it's up and running you'll love it. ;)

Archived