inTank Media Baskets

How to clean live sand?

CmApEs13

ive had numerous salt water tanks but never used live sand and this is the first time i will be doing that. (in a 5.5 gallon) the tank has been getting alot of algae lately and its been cyclying for about 3 weeks and 3 days. my question is do i syphon like i do with crushed coral or is there another way. please let me know.

The only maintenance you typically do with live sand is let your cleanup crew sift it a little. That's assuming you have nassarius snails or something else that burries itself in the sand. Algae in the sand usually means you've got too many nutrients either from over feeding, using tap water, something dying, or the end of your cycle. I bet it's just the end of your cycle. Have you tested your nitrates?

ive had numerous salt water tanks but never used live sand and this is the first time i will be doing that. (in a 5.5 gallon) the tank has been getting alot of algae lately and its been cyclying for about 3 weeks and 3 days. my question is do i syphon like i do with crushed coral or is there another way. please let me know.

ok and i do use tap water. i just tested my nitrates today and everything is ready to roll. so my cycle is pretty much done then?? if so when should i add the clean up crew???

if you're getting a buildup of detrius on the top of the sand, get a small hose, start the siphon, then just hover the end of the hose over the top of the sand and just suck up the detrius.

Archived