ReefCleaners.org

Finally got water in the tank!

Monkeyrobb

After months of construction on my stand and canopy, I finally had enough time to set it up and start the adventure. My woman ran off with my camera today, so I'll try to post a pic later tonight.

Here's the equipment list so far:

30x24x24 custom tank with built in overflow

24x16x16 sump

ASM G1x skimmer

Little giant scqx-3 (?) pump

1" sea swirl

Reefkeeper 2

Coralife MH/pc combo light

Custom stand and canopy

The little giant pump was so loud that I ran the plumbing through my floor into the fruit cellar (really old house!) I can still hear it through the floor, so I'll address that in the future. I'm ordering the package from TBS, partially because of the abundant life on the rock, and partially because of the environmentally responsible approach of the harvesting. Originally the tank was to be FOWLR, but I decided that it should be a reef. When the tank is cycled, I'll move all of my fish from my Nano. I want this to be a semi-aggressive reef tank. So far I have a scribbled rabbit, neon damsel, and a diadem dottyback, and an arrow crab. They all get along and don't bother the coral so far.

Now a few questions.

My sump doesn't have a dedicated area for a fuge. My water from the tank goes directly into a compartment through a filter sock, then into the section with the skimmer, then through a few baffles to the return area. Should I throw some LR in one of the compartments or make a small external fuge?

The one sea swirl does an amazing job at moving the water around, and I can only open the main pump about 60% or the water is spashing out of the tank. My LFS owner says this will be plenty of flow. He actually talked me out of buying two sea swirls. Should I disregard his advice and add another powerhead or two?

Should I be running carbon while the tank is cycling?

Thanks for the patience and advice and I promise to post some pics.

Robb

Here's an update:

Got rock and sand in the tank a few nights ago. Will try to post a pic of my blind aquascaping tomorrow. I never thought that I'd need to top off with a gallon a day with this tank!

Today I installed an RO/DI filter and Kent float for an auto top off. Luckily I had a copper pipe with a valve going to nothing in my fruit cellar. I soldered on a hose bib, and had the entire setup running within an hour.

I'm thinking of putting a fuge in the fruit cellar since I have so much room. I'd also like to have a CA reactor but don't think I have room in my cabinet. The "Pit of Despair" would be a good place for it.

BTW, Reefkeeper 2 rocks! Temperature stays perfect, lights come on when they should, and it's easy to use. I only wish I had 6 more outlets!

Robb

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, 8/7/06

I moved the pump to the "Pit of despair" and that helps a alot with the noise. The tank has cycled very fast. I used cured rock from the LFS so maybe that helped. I ordered my cleaning crew from Live Aquaria and it should arrive tomorrow. They'll be busy as I've grown quite a bit of green hair algea. The skimmer is sucking all kinds of nasty stuff out of the water as well.

Once the snails and crabs mow the lawn in the tank, I'm going to move another 30 pounds of rock from one of my nanos and then try to catch the fish and show them their new home. Catching the arrow crab should be interesting.....

Robb

Yet another update, 8/11

The pic doesn't do the tank any justice. In person, it doesn't look just like a pile of rocks. There are many caves and ledges, along with a canyon type arrangement that you just can't see.

I moved the fish from the nano over last night. I had to take out all the rock just to catch them. It's hard to believe how elusive they can be....So the Rabbit, the Dottyback, the Neon damsel, and the arrow crab all have a big new home. The Rabbit was the most freaked out over the move. He seems fine tonight, but hid for about 18 hours. The other fish and crab seemed really happy with more room. I moved some corals over as well. A mushroom rock, a spaghetti leather tree, and a new one...looks like a tongue. The snails and crabs, along with the Rabbitfish have done an amazing job at cleaning up the algea. I'll try to get some better pics soon.

Robb

post-17614-1155365841_thumb.jpg

Archived