ReefCleaners.org

Auto top-offs when you only topoff with kalk water...

MrKrispy

My fluctuating water levels from the heat waves have me at the end of my rope. I normally have a peristaltic pump that drips kalk-vinegar-water during the nightime.

I want to move to some sort of auto topoff system and still use my kalk water.

I was leaning toward the Tunze osmolater, but the pump is supposed to be used in kalk water. The thing is $175, so I would need to spend another $50 to get a special outlet to run my peristaltic pump. That stinks. I can't use the Tunze Calcium Dispenser because I need to use vinegar and kalk to keep up with demand.

Is there a good Auto Top Off unit that has redundant float switches and can be used on a timer (or has a clock setting) ?

The tunze pump can be used in kalk water. It just voids the long term warranty as the "dusty" water can be mean to the gears.

Lots of people use it this way, it just means you should think of replacing the pump every year or so (like $20).

The tunze pump can be used in kalk water. It just voids the long term warranty as the "dusty" water can be mean to the gears.

Lots of people use it this way, it just means you should think of replacing the pump every year or so (like $20).

hmmm I wonder if I could build a false bottom to put the pump on, to get the pump slightly above the precipitate...

eggcrate imo.

thing is I'm pretty sure the pump still wears worse either way.

yes I am hoping it will delay it. I am also thinking that since I use vinegar the kalk is dissolved better, so less sludge flying around in to the pump. On RC people mention getting 6-12 months use out of the pumps before they die. When mine dies I will probably just switch to a kalk reactor or buy the switched outlet adapter.

Why not just go paristaltic right away? Money spent once is better than money spent twice.

I have a peristaltic pump but it uses proprietary tubing sets and they are no longer made. I only have one set left.

The osmolater seems to be the only ATO setup that gets good (and safe!) reviews across the board. Many other switches seem to be bukly, have poor snail guards (if at all) etc...

Chupacabras

I use a Tunze in my planted tank and paristaltic in my reef. True, you have to make your own snailguard (I use cross-stitch material, around .79 cents) and there is no high level sensor but that's pretty easily resolved by using a fairly small resevoir and it fills so darn slowly you can catch it long before an overflow sensor would have.

Edit: Oh yeah. all of the sensors and stuff need to be rigged as well since, for some odd reason, it's all set up with suction cups.

I use a Tunze in my planted tank and paristaltic in my reef. True, you have to make your own snailguard (I use cross-stitch material, around .79 cents) and there is no high level sensor but that's pretty easily resolved by using a fairly small resevoir and it fills so darn slowly you can catch it long before an overflow sensor would have.

Edit: Oh yeah. all of the sensors and stuff need to be rigged as well since, for some odd reason, it's all set up with suction cups.

thanks for the help, I will report back once I get it set up/.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting a Tunze Osmolater, still working out the kalk/vinegar thing.

The holders for the sensors (as well as the skimmers) are completely retarded, they are not designed for US-style tanks at all. There has to be a better way (haven't thought of anything yet).

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have used vinegar + kalk in my Tunze calcium dispenser. I add the kalk and vinegar, then shake it up to dissolve. I am not sure why you feel it would not work?

Joon

FWIW, I have used vinegar + kalk in my Tunze calcium dispenser. I add the kalk and vinegar, then shake it up to dissolve. I am not sure why you feel it would not work?

Joon

how much kalk and vinegar do you add to the dispenser, and how often do you refill?

how much kalk and vinegar do you add to the dispenser, and how often do you refill?

I never measured. It was probably about 2 tablespoons+ of kalk and a glug or two of vinegar.

Joon

Archived