Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thermonuclear meltdown in t-minus 10..9...

DeskJockey

So I get home and first thing I do is check out my tank (55g). I check things out fish look fine, toadstool looks great, wait why, what the FK!?! So half of everything else is either closed, shriveled, or DYING!!

I see my caulastrea melting away and the fox coral is practically gone. Is there condition releasing toxins? Wait why are they like that in the first place? I open the cabinet and I see the heater just glowing!!! Pull out the thermometer......HOLY SH*T 90! I literally yank the damn thing out and turn off the lights and then Im just helpless! All I can do is watch and wait for the temp to come down :(

This morning I couldnt tell much as things are normally closed anyway but things looked good. Lost the caulastrea and fox though :*( I can only hope my frogspawn makes it too.

Im just glad I got home when I did I was supposed to hang around work to teach two guys (autocad classes) but one got sick. One thing that sucks, I got iffy feelings about that heater a while back so I bought a new one, but I used it for curing some live rock instead if switching it out X)

if you have a sudden heat problem, do the ESPI method of cooling. Ice in bags or frozen bottles of water floatin the the tank. Or, a water change with some cooler water.

It sucks when things go wrong and they are beyond your control. Sorry to hear about those corals but hopefully that is all the damage you will incur.

Well I didnt want to shock things by bringing it down too fast. It was back to normal temp around 11:30

It was a visi-therm. Ive used many of them for a long time and this was the first to ever give me problems so I wont bag them. Besides I cant fit to many others in my sump.

Archived