Top Shelf Aquatics

where can i find ????

arpanlib

hi all,

just wanted to know where can i identify my fish ???

i mean is there any site where i can go and identify my fish.

got a present today from a friend and he got me a fish saying its a dottyback, but i doubt it and the books i have dosnot have its picture ??? this fish is green from the front and goes deep purple towards its tail. i mean half green and then half purple, with its dorsal and tail fin having an outline of pink on it ??? am very much worried as to what fish this could be ??

any help or any website where i can identify fish would be great help.

thanx a ton in advance for the help.

arpanlib

hey,

thanx for the help, but i doubt if its a dotty back.

and for all the fish has been hiding since i got him.......... its been 5 hours and when i approach the tank, it doenot come out. so i think that it will be hard to take pics....... but will try.

arpanlib

look on-line marine fish selling sites.

www.liveaquaria.com

www.premiumaquatics.com

www.themarinecentre.com

I just combed through a few books, and am totaly at a loss here... ??? I can se some possible ones, but nothing matching it as described.

can you do a decent ms Paint drawing of it? (yeah, I'm being serious this time )

it will help eleminate choices. you have me curious now. :happy:

hey all,

thanx for the constant help.

after a lot of work and patience i have managed to click some pictures, but only while it was hiding.......... no full picture of the fish.

i thought it would be better to join the actual pictures from pieces than to draw. hope you all experts can identify the fish now.

thanx once again for being of help.

so whats the name of this fish ???? its about 3 - 4 cms.

1st i will post the face and then follwed by body parts.

arpanlib

hey thanx for the help........

nope.......... it not a rock fish and neither it is a purple fire fish.

i confirmed from where my friend got the fish, that shop guy says its a fire goby from the indian ocean........ such that it is found on the indian shores....... and for all, it doesnot have a extended fin like a fire goby has.......... so what could it be...... ??? could it be a wrasse ???

help me.........

o.k........... this is the back portion.

BWAHHH HAHAHA HHHA HHAAA Crakeur dings another observational humor homer. :WOOT: :D

It is a basslet or a wrasse. I think it is still stressed, so the true colors are not showing. Give it some time.

then get a pic.

some more pics..........

hey what is the allowed limit to posting ine pic ??? i mean what size pic can we post ??? 40 KB.............. 50 KB or even more ???

will take some more pics as it starts coming out, probably then we can make out the real fishy in it........

thanx for the help eveyone, but keep trying as to what this fish coubd be.

arpanlib

You have to get a better picture to tell. Yes, it could be a Labracinus cyclophthalmus, which comes in many different color variations so a closer/better picture would be nice. The shape as well as the neon hue to the top of the dorsal fin could suggest a Pseudochromis splendens which is still a Dottyback and would be a very peaceful fish to have. Then again, since you mentioned the blending (bi-color) effect, and having similar shape, it may be a Pseudochromis steenei still a Dottyback but would be meaner the the forementioned Labracinus cyclophthalmus. The color variation that you mentioned would even lean to a Ogilbyina queenslandiae, still another Dottyback, but the body shape doesn't really fit what you are showing.

I know you say it is not a dottyback, but it looks like one to me from what little you can see of it. Either way, you need a better pic. Good luck, it could possibly be a pleasant un-mean fish but chances would lean more towards it being a mean one. Dottybacks in general are terriotorial and just plain mean towards most fish. Again, good luck.

hi all,

thanx for the replies.

the fish is not mean at all. yes, it could be a dotty back, but i am not sure. thats what i have to find out.

the fish has settled in with the maldives clown and is not troubling it at all. neither is it eating the caulerpa nor it is eating the polyps. with time if it grows mean.......... i have to watchout for that.

keep putting in ideas. thanx a lot all.

arpanlib

hi all,

i have managed to click a pic after a tiring day........ took 3 hours to get this pic.......... this is the closest for the moment till he becomes more friendly..........

now anybody can tell which fish is this ????

still crap/.............

Try if possible to isolate himby removing some rock or by traping him in a net against the glass. honestly....... yer irking me LOL :D

I really want to see this fish as it does NOT match ANY ID in ANY of my books or logs of illustrations LO ! :woot:

I = Interested if it is a new species or just a diadema pseudo that is stressed

The third to last pic shows the mouth well enough for me to say it doesnt look like a basslet or pseudochromis, but a wrasse. And it would make sense that someone might give it away bacause thay can be nasty towards some inverts.

Archived