Pod Your Reef

First Time Fragging!

justin81

I am going to try fragging for the first time today. I recieved a Kenya Tree and a green finger leather in a frag pack, and I want to frag them so I can give a peice to my dad for his 29gal reef. We trade back and forth and I owe him for a Florida Ricordia. Im really excited. Anyways this is what I have, and my plan.

I am doing a water change so I am going to put some of the water into a bowl and put the coral into it. I have a razor blade box cutter with a new blade to cut the corals. Then I was going to use plastic toothpicks and rubber bands to attach it to LR rubble.

Questions I have:

should I put the fragged peices into a glass inside the tank for protection untill they attach?

Should I put the toothpice thru the coral at the spot that I cut? and rubber band the cutside to the rubble?

Should I cut the small arm of my kenya tree. it grows in a "Y" shape. Shoud I cut it right were it splits, or a little further up the arm.

Thanks everyone!

clifford513

I've never fragged either, but from what I gather researching here and at WWM, it's best to wait until a coral is acclimated to your tank and shows sign of stability and growth. Just my .02 :)

firefishbrain

yeah, let it get settled first then by all means cut it up... you should do the toothpick, there was another thread on this forum that showed how to do the toothpick method, had to do with a finger leather, so this should apply to you. but fingers are one of the easiest coral to frag from what I here and they are.

Sounds good guys. The two I am looking at fragging have been in my tank for about a month. About how long would you say they should be settled before it is ok to frag them. About 2-3 months maybe?

Sounds good guys. The two I am looking at fragging have been in my tank for about a month. About how long would you say they should be settled before it is ok to frag them. About 2-3 months maybe?

ya 2-3 months is alright

The Propagator

Wait until it settles in at least 2 months or so as sugested.

Use wedding veil and rubberbands to get the cuttings to attach to the rock.

;)

Well, Im waiting to frag the kenya tree until it has had time to settle in my tank. Me and my dad tried a fuzzy mushroom, xenia, and some green star polyps from his two reefs to put into mine.

The polyps weren't really fragging, just tore a piece off of my dads colony in his reef. Came off the rock like pulling off vinyl or something.

My mushroom didn't make it. I think I may have gotten the wedding veil too tight. He kind of melted away. I was hoping the mushroom would have done well. I think I might just take a rock over and put it next to my dad's colony and let them jump onto my rock.

The xenia is doing great. I also tried the wedding veil with it.

I also tried putting my green finger leather in a shot glass with a piece of rock so it would attach. It didn't work, so I had to rubberband it to the rock again. I can not find plastic tooth picks anywere. I might try ebay. LOL

I got on a group buy on some ricordeas this week. I get them thursday and have to get them to attach to rock. I think Im going to try the rock in a shot glass thing again. I don't want to wedding veil them again after my mushroom didn't make it.

Anyways for my first time fragging, things went pretty good. Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

i read in an article on fragging that you can even use hypodermic needles with rubber washers. They work great because they are small and create less damage.

I do not know where you can get them though ;)

Yeah, that would be good. The only plastic picks i could find were ones for birthday cake, you know the ones that say stuff on them, and ones for martinis, and the dental picks. They were too thick and I was afraid I would do too much damage.

Not sure were I could get hypodermic needles from. Anyone?

Hey guys, Im getting my ricordeas today and wanted to know if it would be ok to put all 3 of them into a whiskey galss with some LR rubble and and wedding veil over the top of the whiskey glass.

Also, were is the best place for the rics to be level wise in my tank. Its a 12gal Aquapod with stock lighting. I have one at mid level now, but someone told me I should have it in the sand. Just thought I would ask.

Thanks!

yankeereefer

I have attached xenia, finger leathers and kenya frags to rocks using needle and thread. Worked great!

here's a link that I remember looking at in another thread (I think the propogator linked it previously elsewhere) It talks about fragging rics

Ricordia.org

yankee

Well these aren't prpagated ricordeas. Just ordered ones. Never been cut. They are attached to little clumps of sand. I just want the safest way for them to attach to bigger rocks.

Thanks for the thread yankee! That is going to come in handy when I start cutting these guys up in a few months.

Archived