SaltCritters.com

Snail Death Riddle "SOLVED".

leslr

Hi Guys.

Well I finally solved my missing/dead snail problem. It appears the wife's "new" snail is the culprit! Over the past week or so my snail population has slowly died or disappared. She just recently bought a "spiked turbo" snail which the LFS said was a great alge eater. I haven't been able to get a proper ID on it in my searchs. And it never really seemed to move much other than kind of partially crawl up on the rocks at the sand/gravel level , and kind of hang there like a ladder leaning againt the wall so you had room to under it. Well what was happening was the snail would go under it and bang! The spiked turbo wouldgrab it and then come down on top of it and pin it down, that was why I haven't been able to see what has been going on, until today. One of my larger Red leg hermits crawled on top and pulled it partially over and there was one of my missing snail under it. I went back later when it had moved off and looked real close and you can see the hole it had drilled in its side. I checked under the sand around the same area and found 2 more astra shells the same way buried with holes in the shells.

I plan on taking him back to the LFS and donateing him to their prize show tank.REVENGE!>

Pic 1 showing how it hangs off the rock

looks like some type of boring snail, but you probably already figured that out, I searched for about 30 minutes on the net cause I was curious, couldn't find a damn thing as far as species.

Brandon

Archived