ReefCleaners.org

I killed my Cleaner Shrimp

Integracer

I noticed my cleaner shrimp lying on his side today, looking obviously stressed. I tested everything and did a 10% water change just in case. He died a few hours later. Here is what I know:

Ph = 8.4

Nitrates/Nitrites = Trace levels(not even in range of my test kit)

Amonia = Trace levels

Salinity = 1.025

I have had the reef up for about 2 months, and the shrimp has been living for a month in my tank. I have been adding Liquid Calcium and last night I added a little to much, but my mushrooms and my Pseudochromis seem fine. None is percipatating out and the Ph is not too high. What could have gone wrong? Is there another shrimp that might do better? Should I be testing for something else?

I have never heard of too much calcium killing a cleaner shirmp

he probley whould have died anyways

keep an eye on the tank and add another shimp when your ready

-Matt

Iodine is appreciated by inverts. A lack of it will cause them trouble in molting. However, most salts provide enough iodine for survival, I like to add a bit once a week or so for the benefit of my inverts and softies. This is not necessarily the cause of your shrimps early demise, but a possibility of a contributing factor.

Good luck.;)

The guy at my LFS said that my Bicolor Pseudochromis probably killed the shrimp. Took them out one leg at a time. I think he might have to go now, if I can catch him.

I did see him nipping at the shrimp but it was once the shrimp was already stressed and dying. So thats kind of inconclusive. When feeding, the pseudochromis practically jumps out of the water to nip at floating food. I really don't know for sure though. I guess I might try a larger shrimp some time again.

Archived