Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Mantis Question

Crakeur

Ok, I have a humongous red mantis in my 180 at work and I think I might have a mantis in the nano. I have learned to accept the work mantis as it has proven to outwit me several times now. As for the mantis at home, I noticed some loud snapping sounds when the lights go out and can only assume that I have one in the nano. Hasn't caused any damage that I know of, although I now think my perc jumped while trying to get away from said shrimp. Can be my only explanation.

So, here's my question.

The mantis in the office (180) tank has been there for at least a year and a half, possibly longer. the nano mantis, if there is one, is several months in the tank or more. Why have I not found a shell from a molt? The one in the office has more than tripled in size since we got it and I have yet to find a shell. I have found lobster shells many times in the nano but never a mantis shell. When I had my 60 gallon, I had a 4 inch mantis in there that was there from day one (saw it a lot) and I never found the shells from that one either.

Where do the mantis shrimp put those shells? I'm dead serious about this. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why, when a cleaner, pep, camel etc. or when a lobster or hermit or emerald etc. molt, I always find their shells. why no mantis shells?

Not only will they bury it they will dig it up and consume it to re-ingest some of the minerals from the shed exoskeleton. My mantis usually eats it's shell withing a day or two of molting.

Archived