inTank Media Baskets

ASM G Mini Review

DaveFason

Well I've seen a bunch of posts wondering how they are, if the work out, noisey and what not so I decided to post this for people thinking about it. I am not an expert by any means, and I have nothing to compare too, being that this is my first tank so far. But I did come from where alot of people loooking on these forums are coming from, a good priced, decent skimate, and quite skimmer and size. My tank is around 45-50 gallons total and I think has a high bioload. I have two false percs, sixline, bicolor blenny, high banded goby paired with pistol, cleaner shrimp, sand sifter starfish, snails and a few hermits. I have alot of direct feed corals no alot of food goes in there. The tank has been up since March 29th, and the first week I had it I put in a bucket with freshwater and ving. I put the skimmer in and it put out millions of microbubbles and I thought I was going to die. After a week though they were ALL gone and it was crystal clear. It literly an overnight thing, so don't be worried if it doesnt look like its going to turn out good. It really took around 3-4 weeks until it produced some good skimate. Now 4 months later it producing awesome skimmate and could not be any happier. I'll try and get some pictures for you guys soon. The riser is very easy to adjust but I really want to get a gate valve mod just to make things even easier.

The size was another big issue. I needed it to fit into a smaller sump, but still work well. I almost went with the remora but the price was a little out of my range at the time. and after hering how well other ASM's had work I had to try. I have a 20L with baffles and fuge and managed to fit it all in there.

The last issue was noise. I wanted a tank for my room ( didnt want anyone else to enjoy it more than me! ). The first month was hell. It had a gurgle noise and just a weird noise other times. After a month or so its SUPER quite. I have a Eheim pump so I dont here much. All I hear now is the water dropping from the return tube. I plan on getting the gate valve soon. So give it some time before you bash it noise, Ive read some posts about people upgraded there pumps but I found this one just fine.

Overall if your looking for a inexpensive, nice skimmate, small and quite skimmer I would def. check this one out. For 99$ you cant really beat it. I know there are other skimmers that will blow this one away but for the price you cant beat it. I plan on upgrading to a Deltec when I upgrade mt tank! Hope this helps a few people out! Feel free to ask me any other Q's.

-Dave

PS. I suck at spelling and I hate going back to read my post, so I am sorry if I am horrible.

I had no problem with the temp. I run all my stuff in my sump too, the eheim pump and skimmer. The temp stays perfect at 79-80 all the time. I'm sure I got used to it but my buddy even thinks its alot less noisey. I'll try and get pics today for you guys.

-Dave

hey dave, ive had mine for a month now and i get dark tea at best. I cant seem to get a dry foam. I have it in about 10 inches of water and the outlet tube about 3/4 in above the bottom of the collection cup. Have any ideas how i can get better skimmate. My tank is a 15g with 10g sump/refuge. Its pretty full of coral and i have one tomato clown.

Archived