Cultivated Reef

New 3 Gallon Highly Lit 3 Gallon Pico

Whaletail

post-21417-1153269181_thumb.jpgpost-21417-1153269006_thumb.jpgHi everyone - Just put myself under a new name on here, used to be tkudlik, now my wife is involved also! I got rid of my 24 gallon JBJ, I didn't want to keep it for fear of cracking! We had the 2006 version also! Believe that! Anyway, we kept a few "choice" pieces of our Marshall Island LR and bought some new Carib Sea Live sand - Bahamas Oolite and seaded it sowith the LR...well...in the process! Just sold the 24 gallon and took it down on Sunday, what work cleaning/doing that! We do not want any other bigger tanks, we'd like to just have a bunch of PICOS around the house:) We just feel they are much cooler, inexpensive for tanks, lighting, etc. and much more of an intimate tank/environment. My husband is setting one up in our bedroom:) Can't wait! Imagine that, under the sea every night. Well, please check out our pics, my husband will post now. Take it easy and please give us suggestions, yes...we are going to be splitting up the clowns, we know we can't have 2 fish their size in this tank and will be doing something about the beautiful Wall Hammer Coral. Just not getting rid of it! We have a JBJ 3 gallon Picotype tank, new filter...threw the old one away for emergency, and just upgraded from that Sh***y 9 watt light that comes with the tank to a Coralife 36 Watt PC 10000 K daylight and actinic setup:) Let us know what you think please and offer some suggestions please. P.S...our new name is something we both thought was unique and cool and explains us both LOL:)!
Obsessed Reefer

Be prepared for flaming. MAJOR FLAMING. I say, if you can do it. Go ahead. But in a 3G. Its not the bio load I hate, its the space. But I like it. Why not get the AquaMedic NanoWave 9 when it comes out?

Hey, thanks for the response. What do you mean by flaming? Never heard that, what do you mean? The clows aren't going to stapy in here anyway, going to a new custom acrylic 8 gallon tank:) I don't even care about bioload, I'm an experienced reefer that dosn't even bother buying test kits:) Waste of money IMO now, just keep up with topoffs and water changes you know? The hammer will also be leaving the tank, Going to go with all LPS, blasto wellsi's, Enchinada's:), Micromussa, etc. All the corals people wish they had the cash to blow on know what I mean? Thanks though, LMK what flaming is though! 36 Watts over 3 gallons:) Thats what I call light! I work for Philips Lighting, Advace Transformers/Ballasts in particular, lights and water changes are what make tanks IMO.

Be prepared for flaming. MAJOR FLAMING. I say, if you can do it. Go ahead. But in a 3G. Its not the bio load I hate, its the space. But I like it. Why not get the AquaMedic NanoWave 9 when it comes out?
Obsessed Reefer

Not that big of fan of the Internet chat world? Flaming is a ton of people screaming at you about what you doing, and telling everybody that you suck and your dumb and that your retarded... i could go on. But if your an experienced reefer, go for it

Gotcha. I really don't care for internet chat besides same time chat at my work. I'm married and got kids, I'm only 29 though so I'm very familiar, proably more familiar w/the Net than a lot of people. Thanks for the response, I really don't care what people think to tell you the truth! They just wish they could do the same. They're probably just jealous anyway cause I have the nice funds to always spend on this tank. BTW...all LPS for me cause ZOOS BORE ME! LOL. Thanks for the heads up Obsessed!

Not that big of fan of the Internet chat world? Flaming is a ton of people screaming at you about what you doing, and telling everybody that you suck and your dumb and that your retarded... i could go on. But if your an experienced reefer, go for it
Obsessed Reefer

No problem. I'm 14, dont know how many times I was flamed on here. All because of how I set up my 12Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe. Everybody was saying that I'm killing the fish, my tank is gonna crash in a week. But I dont care. I researched, plus I had my cousin helping me along the way. Only major loss was of my smaller clown. I have no clue what happened to it. I took out all the rock, minus the small pieces with zoa's on them. Sifted through the sand, and couldnt find it. Searched the back chambers. But...3

Good Luck.

i've got a black and white clown in my setup and i've probably been flamed a total of one billion times even when i tell people i am not keeping the clown for much longer, but after a while, you get used to it. speaking of, i should do an update soon for the masses to see in awe that nothing is dead.

Kingofthejungle
Going to go with all LPS, blasto wellsi's, Enchinada's:), Micromussa, etc. All the corals people wish they had the cash to blow on know what I mean?

My my, aren't we cocky? :)

Thanks for the response, I really don't care what people think to tell you the truth! They just wish they could do the same. They're probably just jealous anyway cause I have the nice funds to always spend on this tank.

You'll find that most (Not all) people flame in order to convince people to improve living conditions for the creatures, cos they care alot for their stuff.And it usually annoys people when you talk in that way

On a positive note, however, you do have a very very nice hammer, are you not supplementing actinic at all?I think it would really make the coloors on the hammer *pop*

SuperPuffer

so thats the 12" 36w coralife? does it fit well and everything? I want to get one of those for my future pico...

post-21417-1153269181_thumb.jpgpost-21417-1153269006_thumb.jpgused to be tkudlik, now my wife is involved also! ....... [fast forward a few sentences] My husband is setting one up in our bedroom:)

What the heck is going on here? :huh:

I don't even care about bioload, I'm an experienced reefer that dosn't even bother buying test kits:) The hammer will also be leaving the tank, Going to go with all LPS, blasto wellsi's, Enchinada's:), Micromussa, etc. All the corals people wish they had the cash to blow on know what I mean?

An experienced reefer that doesn't care about bioload? I was pretty sure that bioload was a fairly important part of nano tanks, what do I know I am not experienced enough I guess. I am amazed that being experienced lets you stop buying test kits, do the corals start telling you the params of the water after you become experienced? I can't wait till the corals start talking to me, it must be amazing. Apparently though you can just replace good practices with cash? Lol, seriously though, I am sure you are a decent reefer with good intentions but you come off as someone who has more money than sense and thinks that money will somehow make up for it. I would personally prefer to see someone who has incredibly healthy reproducing brown zoo's than someone who can blow money on replacing all the expensive corals that they kill.

Gotcha. I really don't care for internet chat besides same time chat at my work. I'm married and got kids, I'm only 29 though so I'm very familiar, proably more familiar w/the Net than a lot of people. Thanks for the response, I really don't care what people think to tell you the truth! They just wish they could do the same. They're probably just jealous anyway cause I have the nice funds to always spend on this tank. BTW...all LPS for me cause ZOOS BORE ME! LOL. Thanks for the heads up Obsessed!

I think you need to up your dosage.

Fishfreak218
They just wish they could do the same. They're probably just jealous anyway cause I have the nice funds to always spend on this tank.

lol! word of advice... dont go around braggin about how much :bling: $$$ you have...

just take it from me...

;)

Attempting to brag about how much money your daddy has is even worse.

And I don't see what's so incredibly amazing about 36W over 3gal... especially for some totally awesome rich guy who works for a lighting company.

I just can't seem to make myself feel impressed by this thread at all.

Watts per gallon doesn't work. Tank size does make some difference, but it only goes so far; 36W is 36W. It doesn't become more light simply because you put it over a smaller tank -- it's a little more intense than it would be over a 10g, but this isn't really going to be a high-light tank (don't believe me? Try SPS). That said, many LPS should be fine, but I'm willing to bet some will lose colour.

I would recommend spending some of that abundant cash on test kits -- keeping stonies in a pico is a challenge IME and you need to keep on top of the levels. I had a 5.5g with 80W of PC that contained a rapidly growing four-head torch frag, a fist-sized open brain, some candycanes and a bunch of softies. I simply couldn't keep up with the calcium depletion. I dripped obscene amounts of CaCl, buffer and MgSO4 (seperately lol) with my topoff water (the tank was topless, evap was about 1/2g per day), tried switching to kalkwasser, tried doing twice-weekly 25% water changes with high Ca/alk water, they just sucked it up faster than I could pour it in. You're going to need to keep a VERY close eye on your Ca, alk and Mg levels if you want to stuff a 3g pico with LPS.

It makes no sense to me that you'd want to spend loads on beautiful frags and none on test kits to keep them healthy; it's a bit like buying a very expensive show dog and then refusing to take it to the vet for shots and medications.

I really don't care what people think to tell you the truth! They just wish they could do the same. They're probably just jealous anyway cause I have the nice funds to always spend on this tank.

A little snooty now, aren't we? Honestly, do you think people who offer constructive criticism do so because they envy you and your "nice funds"? :slap:

Archived