SaltCritters.com

Whats YOUR chemical filtration media for Picos?

ecogirl22

Starting up a 5 gal reef, invert only with coral- mostly softies, some SPS, shrooms, leathers, etc.

What chemical filtration do ya'll use in your filters. There's so many, I'm stumped, especially since this is such a small system.

There's

Purigen (synthetic polymer) by seachem "removes proteins, , nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc"

Renew "helps control ammonia, nitrites, nitrates"

Matrix carbon by seachem

Activated carbon (kent, marineland, black magic, Aq Pharm (filter carbon), Fluval, etc)

Nitra zorb

Bio chem zorb

so many brands and options-- so What do YOU use??? (and recommend for my tank!)

Right now I have a 6.6 that hold only 5 gal with rock and sand

I use th 40g bag of MatrixCarbon by seachem, LR rubble, and LS

I am going to do a fuge mod with the Aqua Clear 70 this weekend but I really like the MatrixCarbon

You might also want to consider doing a fuge

I know a lot of people use purigen... I am going to trow a small bag in my fuge

Purigen and Chemi Pure (when I can remember to get some). Just dumped my bag of Chemi Pure last month and am only using Purigen right now. I highly recommend Purigen, it got rid of my nitrate problems.

THANKS for all the input. I actually just bought purigen--on sale at fosters and smith. When you consider how little you need, it actually compared favorably with even regular carbon. (says 100gm lasts 6 months for 100gallon tank (yeah...so for a 5 gallon tank..that'll last....10 years!!! and all for 5 bucks, I had to give it a try. SO i'm glad you've all had such good experiences with it.

Does anyone have their Purigen before/after test results on hand? How much nitrate reduction did you see?

I used to overfeed before and my nitrates were always at 40ppm (before my reef). I bought Purigen, put it in my power filter(high flow) and after 3 days my nitrates were at 0ppm.

I also go with Purigen.

Also, it doesn't directly remove nitrates, it removes the organic chemicals, etc.. that will be processed into nitrate. End result is the same, of course: lower nitrates.

Another benefit is it's rechargeable. Buy it once, use it many times.

You put the baggy in a bleach solution when the beads turn a dark color, which recharges it. The directions are on the box.

Archived