Pod Your Reef

Do I even need a baffle for my fuge?

Seth

Hi, I'm currently building my refugium.

It's an overhead fuge meaning a pump or powerhead pumping water up to my fuge and letting gravity feed water back down to my tank.

| o |

| b |

| b |

| b |

| b |

------------------------

Water comes in from the left side over the baffle (B) and exits the bulkhead (o)

I was wondering do I even need the baffle (B)?

And if I should make a baffle, how much space should I leave in the left compartment? I may put a pump in there or skimmer.

The tank is a 5 gallon tank, 16 inches long.

Thanks!

just have two because it keeps the sand seperated from the other chambers. Like I said you could do one but my second one does keep a little of the sediment inside of the chamber rather than it flowing out through the bulkhead.

freakaccident

I left about 5 inches. I have a Rio 1700 which I would not recommend. I also have a ground probe and float switch in that same section. I have another baffle on the other end of the tank with my skimmer and heater in that section. I can use that section for bags of carbon, phosphate beads, floss, etc. My refugium is in the middle. Wait until you get the pump to set the baffle. Homedepot or Lowes can sell and cut the glass for you for about $5 or you can buy acrylic sheet cheap at Homedepot and cut it yourself. Just silicone it in place when you get your pump. Make sure you leave enough room with your plumbing to get the pump out in case something goes wrong.

Archived