Coral Vue Hydros

Skimmer and live sand

sea man dan

sea man dan

Ok , so i've been looking into skimmers for quite some time now , and i've gotten a lot of oppions , and a lot of statements from people. But i want to know what would be the best over all skimmer for its price for a 40 breeder , SPS dominated?

Also on live , who vaccums there live sand? why do you?

who doesnt? why dont you?

FishFreak77

As far as skimmers go, I have heard that the remora is good. I have no experience with them though.

I vacuum my sand because it helps remove some of the waste off the top, and it helps lower nitrates. It also helps keep the sand cleaner.

sea man dan

well see i was just thinking , get stars that sift sand , get a goby that sifts sand , and getting snails that go in the snad when not feeding , i think that would be plenty of aireration of the sand , and it would be a good way to get detris in check... wait what am i saying detris can never be kept in checK!

for a 40g breeder, i'd go w/ the AquaC urchin pro or the Coralife super skimmer, cheap and easy to use- and you get what you pay for.

yankeereefer
for a 40g breeder, i'd go w/ the AquaC urchin pro or the Coralife super skimmer, cheap and easy to use- and you get what you pay for.

urchins are for sumps i think - remora's are the hob (sumpless) equivalent

• 3 weeks later...
Also on live , who vaccums there live sand? why do you?

who doesnt? why dont you?

A lot of people do not want to disturb the substrate so do not vacuum it. Every water change i vacuum gently the upper layer of my DSB and only 1/3 of the whole area.

I dont remember where but someone made this argument about 1/3 surface area and no more than that.

I agree that a sump model skimmer would be best.

I do not vacuum my sand (<2 cm deep in most areas), I leave it for the detriovores to take care of. I don't vacuum it because it is a PITA and I don't feel that there is a need.

If I had a deep sand bed or a plenum, I would leave it alone so as not to destroy the anerobic denitrifiers contained in the lower levels.

Archived