Innovative Marine Aquariums

set up plans

drdrew

hows this sound...

5.5 gal tank

prizm skimmer

aqua clear OR penguin mini (both rated at 100gph)

visitherm 25watt heater

iwasaki 50000k 150w MH aquabulb pendant

want to keep sps and a clam

how high off the water would you hang this bulb?

any other thoughts or input?

thanks...to the drawing board now for stand and hood design...fun fun fun!

I don't know that you'll really need a skimmer on a 5 gallon tank, but it certainly won't hurt. I believe I've read some poor reviews on here of the Prizm skimmer though (very noisy if I recall), so you might want to do a search on that. Personally I would go with a 50w heater, but I tend to go with a 10w/gallon rule just to be safe. I think the 150w MH is an awful lot of light for a 5 gallon, and a 70w would do just as well and be much cheaper. Be prepared to keep up on top-offs with the 5 gallon tank, as evaporation on my 5 is significant and can raise the salinity considerably.

i'm going to use the prizm because it's sitting in my garage...

(took it off my 54 corner and put up a precision marine)

i am concerned about evaporation, and that's why i'm trying to figure out how tall to make this hood!!!!

50000k is not a typo. it is the aquabulb...but it is likely a ploy and looks more like a 20000k and i'm told it will not require actinic supplementation to produce fluorescence...

the photos i have seen of it in action look nice...

maybe if the bulb is up about 14 inches and i put on a 4 inch fan i'll be alright.........hmmmmmmmmmm

still planning....

If you want to keep clams and SPS, I wouldn't go w/ anything less than the 150w. The only problem is, having it 14" off the top means it's going to let a lot of light into the room. I would suggest two 4" fans on a hood and about 10" from the top. You might try looking into a auto-top-off system for this one, cause that HQI will burn that tank dry in a couple weeks!! Also, (I like to ramble!!) you should find a color you like for sure on a bulb becaue it would be hard to add more to supplement!

;)

E

actuall, the hood will be more of a hollow tube because the fixture i want will not fit inside the hood, i was thinking of just placing the horizontal pendant on the top of the tube...does that make sense? so...maybe about 12 inches of hood...then the pendant sitting on top...this should keep the light in the tube rather than in the room....and since the top of the pendant will be out of the hood i am wondering if i will need the fans at all??

can anyone theel me the width of the aquaclear mini or the penguin mini (how many inches across the back of the tank will i need to mount)

thanks.

Archived