SaltCritters.com

AquaCube?

KWoo008

Hello All,

I was at my LFS the other day and saw a 1.5 gallon (I think that's what one of the guys told me) cube. Appears to be glass with black silicone with a black plastic base that has a tiny, slide out drawer. It comes with a small power compact light that looks smaller than the one that comes with the Picotope, but it has an LED built into it as well. The switch for the light is located on the front of the base on the far right side. The tank comes with a cover to minimize evaporation and also comes with an internal filter. They only had one which is on display (freshwater) and is suppose to be getting more in later this week. I think he said it is between $40 and $50. Sure is tempting...

All they had was the one on display, so no box laying around for manufacturer info. The guy told me it was called an AquaCube, but he could've made that up off the top of his head. I tried to Google it but nothing came up matching what I saw. $50 is sort of steep in my book for what you get as the lighting is not sufficient for most corals (although a nice sun polyp would be cool). A similar set up could be made by a handy DIYer for a lot less money, but most people are too lazy to do it. I personally like it better than the Picotope and would pick one up if I can score it for under $30. I'm in SoCal, so we may be a little ahead of certain parts of the country but someone else has to have seen it by now. Please chime in with more info if you got it!

Nope. The one in the first link has curved corners. The one I saw has four separate pieces of glass sealed with black silicone (I didn't pay attention to the back piece, so I'm just assuming the back piece is glass). However, it does look like the one in the second link, but the dimensions on that tank is 60x60x60 (cm). If I'm not mistaken, 60cm is almost 24". I guess I'm gonna have to bring my digital camera into the fish store and snap a few shots (hope they don't mind). Maybe they'll have it in stock when I get there.

If the light is a 7W 50/50 it will be fine for softies and even a few LPS as evidenced with my .75g Aquavase. I'd be interested - may start up another pico.

I didn't fumble with the light much as it was one of the store's display tank, but it didn't look like it lit the tank up very well (but looks can be deceiving). I'm gonna try to swing by there this weekend or Monday (they have a 25% off discount on saltwater fish and coral every Monday after 5pm) to try to get more details.

Ok. I count four clowns in that top picture on 'AA's site???

Don't act like you've never seen an aquarium ad shot. They ALWAYS overstock the hell out of the tank they're trying to sell for some reason.

That's the one! Thanks qoffeebeans. $25 USD is a great price for the set up. I'm guessing that shipping, US duty fees/taxes and whatever else it costs to import these things over to the US will drive the cost up. Count me in for one if they end up being under $30 USD!

qoffeebeans... Got any pics of your tank?

by any chance did u go to a LFS in chatsworth? they have about a dozen and the display with some yellow polyps. too bad the mrs. wont let get any more tanks though >_<

goffeebeans
That's the one! Thanks qoffeebeans. $25 USD is a great price for the set up. I'm guessing that shipping, US duty fees/taxes and whatever else it costs to import these things over to the US will drive the cost up. Count me in for one if they end up being under $30 USD!

qoffeebeans... Got any pics of your tank?

Yea, shipping and duties/taxes should raise it up a bit. Also, take into consideration that the $25USD was the retail price not supplier price.

I havent had the time to setup the tank yet.

Thanks again, qoffeebean.

nanoDarth - The LFS I was referring to is Aquarium Center in Sherman Oaks. How much is the store in Chatsworth selling them for? Just tell wifey that you've had this sitting around for a while now and just transfered some stuff from another tank. The perks of having many tanks is that everyone (including yourself) start losing track... OK, maybe not but worth a try. Just pay cash and throw the receipt away, so there is no record of it. Hahaha...

i think they were selling them for 50 bucks. i actually used the "it was on clearance!" excuse for this one gallon tank. maybe ill sell that one and get this new one.

Archived