Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green Finger Leater Frag

justin81

Most of the stuff I have in my tank are frags, but I don't have much experience with them. Im learning fast though. So maybe with this new forum you guys can help me.

I'll start with the history of the frag. I have a green finger frag that was rubberbanded to a small rock by the lady I got it from. The rubber band was stretched so that two of its arms were on the rock holding it down. Well one of the arms fell off so now only one are is being held down and it does not look very sturdy or happy and will not attach to the rock.

My question is, is the wedding vale method good for leathers?? I thought maybe it would keep it from being able to open it polyps. What would be the best method for a finger leater?

The best way to mount a leather is to poke a plastic toothpick through its stalk and rubber band each side of the toothpick around the rock.

I thought super glue wasn't good for leathers since they'll produce mucus & slime. I may be wrong though. I agree with the toothpick idea. I've used the rubberband method before and it worked fine.

Mel

I always use a needle and thin fishing line. Just tie the frag to the rock and once it's attached, just snip and pull the fishing line.

Yeah I wouldnt use the superglue gel with leathers...they dont like their stalk being glued...Use the toothpick method

Does anyone have a pic of one rubberbanded to a toothpick? I cant picture in my head how that would be done.

ok, take the stalk of the leather, poke a toothpick thru the very bottom of it, horizontally.

Set the toothpick on top of the peice of LR, and wrap a rubberband, just below the point of the toothpick on each side, EASY! Bridal Veil works well also! DO NOT use Super Glue.

You could also just push the toothpick into a hole in a peice of LR, and break it off flush.

D

The Propagator

I will brb with a pic of three toad stool leathers I have recently glued to a rock as well as a pic of a kenya tree frag. ;)

The Propagator

Here they are....... BTW the Kenya tree Ijust glued on 3 days ago.

The two smaller toad stool leather were glued on about 2 weeks agon and the large toad stool was glued on a month ago.

ToadstoolFrag3.jpg

Toadstoolfrag2.jpg

Toadstoolfrag1.jpg

Kenyafrag.jpg

the key is to keep themin low flow for a week or so and give them a chance to get hold of the super glue and the rock theyare on. ;) ALSO DO NOT GLUE THE CUT SIDE DOWN.

Those leathers were in my sand bed for around 2 months before I glue them and theywere torn from a rock before that.

The kenya tree was glue on the side of a snails shell sothat it still stayed up right but the glue is actualy on the side and the cut side is in open water.

If you use any other method do it the same way as above with any type of leather. Leave the cut side open.

Thanks for the help guys. And thanks for the pic halfpint! LOL!!!!! Totaly makes sense now.

I think im going to try the toothpick method first. Right now I banded another one of it's arsm to the rock to keep it from blowing over. I moved it to a low flow area were it will get plenty of light. Hopefully it will start doing better. I think its a really awesome leather.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived