Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Attack of the clowns

FamousGuy

Are clowns more likely to attack similar clowns (ex. false perc on false perc) or different ones, like a skunk on a perc?  Also, how likely are they to attack other fish, like a bangaii cardinal?  

madhader85

my clowns never attack eachother(false percs).  They ae very close to eachother.  Sometime they chase my damsel, by never attack him.  

they ar emore likely to attack clowns of other species. thats why you should never eally mix species unless you have a huge tank. they will almost always get along with banghai cardinals and most other fish as long as they are not crammed. what are your tank specs? 10 gal? a single clown and a single banghai cardinal would be ok.

to address your fears however, they very well might attack conspecifics. particularly when one is introduced after the other has been established for a long time. Also a trio of clowns can be fine until two of them pair off, in which case the oddball might be best suited in another tank.

Guest samson

I had a very small true perc and a cardinal in a 20gal. Woke up one morning and the clown had been killed (shredded fins, torn dorsal). I have a small bristle worm (under 2") and a very small rock crab. But no other casulaties since then.

snafuforyou1

I agree with pulp.

Clowns have been known to attack clowns of other species as well as their own.  

The trick is getting clowns(of the same species) that are young and place them in your tank before they can establish their territory. This does not guarantee success but you will have a better chance of a matted pair this way.

Snaf

Archived